HALtheAI
Topic Author

A380-Ready Airports

Sun May 03, 2015 7:44 pm

Since none seems to currently exist, I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of all the airports around the world that can handle the A380. An A380-capable airport defined here as one where the whale can taxi to a gate with at least 2 jet bridges, without knocking down any signs/buildings or damaging the taxiways due to the weight of the aircraft.

For the following list, I've assumed that any airport that has had regularly scheduled A380 service as meeting these requirements. I've also added some others based on news reports and Wikipedia, although details are sometimes sketchy, and included those airports that will be able to handle the A380 within a few months*.

Africa
ABJ - Abidjan
DUR - Durban
JNB - Johannesburg
MRU - Mauritius

Asia
BKK - Bangkok
BLR - Bangalore
BOM - Mumbai
CAN - Guangzhou
CTU - Chengdu
DEL - New Delhi
GYD - Baku
HKG - Hong Kong
HND - Tokyo
HYD - Hyderabad
ICN - Seoul
KCH - Kuching
KIX - Osaka
KMG - Kunming
KUL - Kuala Lumpur
MNL - Manila
NRT - Tokyo
PEK - Beijing
PVG - Shanghai
SIN - Singapore
SZX - Shenzhen
TPE - Taipei

Europe
AMS - Amsterdam
ATH - Athens
BCN - Barcelona
BHX - Birmingham
CDG - Paris
CPH - Copenhagen
DME - Moscow
DUS - Düsseldorf
FCO - Rome
FRA - Frankfurt
LGW - London
LHR - London
MAD - Madrid
MAN - Manchester
MUC - Munich
MXP - Milan
OVB - Novosibirsk
PRG - Prague
STN - London
SVO - Moscow
ZRH - Zürich

Middle East
AUH - Abu Dhabi
DOH - Doha
DXB - Dubai
CAI - Cairo
JED - Jeddah
KWI - Kuwait City

North America
ATL - Atlanta
DFW - Dallas
IAD - Washington
IAH - Houston
JFK - New York City
LAS - Las Vegas
LAX - Los Angeles
MCO - Orlando
MIA - Miami
SFO - San Francisco
YUL - Montréal
YVR - Vancouver
YYC - Calgary
ADL - Adelaide
AKL - Auckland
BNE - Brisbane
MEL - Melbourne
PER - Perth
SYD - Sydney

South America
GIG - Rio de Janeiro

Upgrading
ARN - Stockholm
BKI - Kota Kinabalu
BOS - Boston
CKG - Chongqing
CMB - Colombo
CPT - Cape Town
CRK - Manila
GRU - São Paulo
GVA - Geneva
HAM - Hamburg
JKT - Jakarta
ORD - Chicago
PTY - Panama City
VIE - Vienna

*TPE: early 2015 (Source)
PRG: mid-2015 (Source)
YYC: June 28 (Source)

A few major airports set to open in the next couple years will also support the A380, like New Islamabad International Airport (Dec. 2016), Istanbul New Airport (2017), and Berlin Brandenburg (2018-19, probably never).

Links for some of the info that wasn't from Wikipedia:
SVO & OVB: (Source)
GYD: (Source)
CTU: (Source)
GIG: (Source)
LAS: Would cause issues with adjacent taxiways being unusable while the whale made its way to the gate, but MIA has the same problems which don't stop LH from flying there. (Source)

Couldn't find anything definitive about the status of a bunch of other airports, like OSL, IST, GLA, EZE, WUH, LED, HAN, and CUN. Transaero has mentioned AGP, ALC, HKT, TFS, and VVO as some of their intended destinations for their upcoming A380s. Anyone know more about these airports?

[Edited 2015-05-03 13:00:47]

vv701

RE: A380-Ready Airports

Sun May 03, 2015 8:13 pm

After BA took delivery of their first 380 they flew it to several airports where there was some possibility of their aircraft landing on diversion or for maintenance. They included not only LGW, a possible diversionary airport. but, if I recall correctly both SNN (another possible diversionaty airport) and CWL (BA's main maintenance base for heavies) that are not on your list.

These flights enabled them to identify any possible problems and to establish appropriate routines for such visits based on practical experience rather than theory. However these airports would likely be excluded from your listing because of the requirement of stands with two air bridges would not necessarily be met.

tomaheath

Sun May 03, 2015 8:20 pm

The airports that are A380 ready do they have 2 air bridges? If so one for upper deck and one for lower deck?

SLCUT2777

Sun May 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 1):
North America
ATL - Atlanta
DFW - Dallas
IAD - Washington
IAH - Houston
JFK - New York City
LAS - Las Vegas
LAX - Los Angeles
MCO - Orlando
MIA - Miami
SFO - San Francisco
YUL - Montréal
YVR - Vancouver
YYC - Calgary
ADL - Adelaide
AKL - Auckland
BNE - Brisbane
MEL - Melbourne
PER - Perth
SYD - Sydney

The last I checked, Australia & New Zealand are not part of North America.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

blueflyer

Sun May 03, 2015 8:42 pm

BRU will most likely be ready before the end of the year. Emirates will operate a one-off test flight in September before upgauging its daily flight at a date yet to be announced.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 1):
After BA took delivery of their first 380 they flew it to several airports where there was some possibility of their aircraft landing on diversion or for maintenance.

Air France and Lufty did the same. Presumably so did every A380 operator around its main hub.
Inadequate healthcare killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Opioid crisis killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Would-be king who can't figure this out, that's a national emergency

cornishsimon

Sun May 03, 2015 9:06 pm

We could probably do with a thread on airports able to handle the A380 for diversions as there would be a bigger list which wouldn't need airbridges etc.

cs

SFOThinker

Sun May 03, 2015 9:14 pm

You can probably Add MSP to the list of North American cities capable. This link has a picture of a 380 parked at a gate at the Humphrey Terminal.
http://johnweeks.com/a380/index.html
However I do not know if two air bridges were in use.

Gemuser

Sun May 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Quoting HALtheAI (Thread starter):
North America

ADL - Adelaide
AKL - Auckland
BNE - Brisbane
MEL - Melbourne
PER - Perth
SYD - Sydney

WOW, that must have a hell of an earthquake!!! Wonder how I missed it! I know I'm a heavy sleeper, but wow!  

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 3):
The last I checked, Australia & New Zealand are not part of North America.

Ugh. Got mangled when I edited the post to make another correction. Was originally:

North America
YVR - Vancouver
YYC - Calgary
YYZ - Toronto

Oceania
ADL - Adelaide
AKL - Auckland
BNE - Brisbane
MEL - Melbourne
PER - Perth
SYD - Sydney

South America
GIG - Rio de Janeiro

Aviationman777

Sun May 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Also in Middle East

RUH Riyadh

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2015 10:49 pm

Quoting tomaheath (Reply 2):
The airports that are A380 ready do they have 2 air bridges? If so one for upper deck and one for lower deck?

From what I can tell, a lot of the airports that have only 2 jet bridges for the A380 connect them to the lower deck only and the pax have to take the stairs onboard the aircraft to reach the upper deck. Most of the time the info only states the number of jet bridges available for use by an A380, so I arbitrarily decided that 2 were sufficient for boarding and disembarking the aircraft in a timely manner.

Quoting Aviationman777 (Reply 9):
Also in Middle East

RUH Riyadh

There are dozens of airports that have received one-off flights by an A380, but I don't know whether they actually parked at a gate or were handled at remote stands and bussing the pax to the terminal. I couldn't find anything definitive on RUH when I was Googling.

travaz

Sun May 03, 2015 11:29 pm

PHX can handle a 380 in a diversion but it requires taxiway restrictions and only has one air bridge. It would not support regular service.

Gemuser

Sun May 03, 2015 11:53 pm

a gate with at least 2 jet bridges
Quoting travaz (Reply 12):
PHX can handle a 380 in a diversion but it requires taxiway restrictions and only has one air bridge

What is this obsession with one air bridge for A380s? You only need one! OK it does increase boarding/deboarding delays, but not excessively, certainly not to the point that you can say a gate with only one air bridge can NOT handle an A380 in regular service.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

wzafar

Mon May 04, 2015 2:03 am

Which one of those airports does EK currently fly a 777/A330 to and has no plans for an A380 at this stage? I would imagine they would want to fly an A380 to everywhere they possibly can...

FLIHGH

Mon May 04, 2015 2:05 am

Quoting wzafar (Reply 14):

They have a 777 on the IAD route right now....I'd be curious if a 380 is coming. Etihad just cut capacity by putting a 787 instead of the 340.

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2015 9:12 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 13):

What is this obsession with one air bridge for A380s? You only need one! OK it does increase boarding/deboarding delays, but not excessively, certainly not to the point that you can say a gate with only one air bridge can NOT handle an A380 in regular service.

But do EK or BA or KE etc. have regular service to any airport with only 1 air bridge for the A380? I admit I might be wrong, but I got the impression months ago that they want at least 2.

mandala499

Mon May 04, 2015 10:22 am

JKT - Jakarta

Jakarta is CGK and HLP... HLP don't have airbridges so cross that out.
CGK has 1 gate that can take in the 380, D1, and has 2 airbridges... involves a slight detour in taxiing... EK wants to send it's A380 here but the gate is unavailable for the times EK wants it, and that the gate lounge can barely cope with EK's 77W...

New T3 will have A380 capable gates, so I am told...

Asia

Add BTH (Batam), the A380 diverts there when they can't get into SIN... QF has done it. 2 airbridges too.
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Chaostheory

Mon May 04, 2015 10:54 am

I've assumed that any airport that has had regularly scheduled A380 service as meeting these requirements.

Which is an incorrect assumption as JED

An A380-capable airport defined here as one where the whale can taxi to a gate with at least 2 jet bridges

doesn't meet these requirements.

At JED, the EK A380 usually parks at the Western Hajj Terminal on Apron 7. Definitely no jet bridges there!

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2015 1:50 pm

Quoting ChaosTheory (Reply 18):

Interesting. Do you know of any other airports like that?

Found an article from Runway Girl from a couple months back on Jeddah. Seems they're doing extensive renovations. I wonder if the situation regarding A380s will improve after that's completed.

When I was compiling my list, I admit I didn't check the ones that had existing A380 service because I was trying to find airports that could handle it but currently had none flying there. I've been thinking of going through the entire list and making a note of any jet bridge information for each airport, but it'll take a while since it's time-consuming work.

rmoore7734

Mon May 04, 2015 2:10 pm

interesting article http://www.ajc.com/news/business/har...aring-for-super-jumbo-jet-o/nk2j7/ another 380 gate in the works at terminal F at the ATL.

[Edited 2015-05-04 07:12:05]

[Edited 2015-05-04 07:13:19]

thaiflyer

Thu May 07, 2015 6:00 am

I don't think that HKT is A380 ready.
They don't have dual jet bridges, and the terminal (immigration) is not suited for this can't of load.
Maybe the new terminal (ready sometimes next year) will be ready but i don't know that for sure.

CXfirst

Thu May 07, 2015 7:32 am

Either the list must be reduced or your definition must change.

There are a few airports on your list that may be able to handle the A380, but definitely do not have gates with 2 or more aerobridges.

STN and ADL are two that quickly come to mind for me, there would be others on that list as well.

I for one don't see 2 or more aerobridges as necessary for A380 ops. Desirable for scheduled services, yes, but not necessary. Think your definition should change.

-CXfirst

mjoelnir

Fri May 08, 2015 12:49 pm

The 2 or 3 jet bridges requirement does not even fit airports having A380 service as it is. I recently traveled DXB to JED and back and no jet bridges in sight in JED. 4 stairs were used, two forward of the wing and two behind the wing. Buses were used for transport from and to the terminal. Fast de boarding and boarding.

A380 operation depends rather on the runways and taxiways, a remote stand with stairs will do, as that had also been enough for 747 operation through the time.

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 pm

At long last, finito! I've redone the list completely, this time with sources documented.

In square brackets next to the airport location is the maximum number of bridges available at an A380-capable gate, along with the configuration. Note that some airports have a few gates with three bridges, then a few more with only two. U/L = one upper- and one lower-level bridge. L/L = two lower-level bridges. All triple jetway gates that I've seen pictures of are arranged as one bridge to the upper deck with the other two to the main deck. I gauged some bridge configurations based off less than ideal photos, so some gates marked as L/L might actually be U/L. Furthermore, the data might be outdated and additional air bridges installed since. Information for some airports is quite vague, at least in English, so more, particularly on Chinese and Latin American airports, might exist.

As far as I can tell, all airports that have or had regularly scheduled A380 service, with the sole exception of Jeddah, have at least one whale-capable gate with two or more boarding bridges. Unless your airport is the site of a religious pilgrimage of epic proportions, remote stands do not seem to be a viable solution.

The U.S. Government Accountability Office, in a report on airport A380 preparedness, declared that "the A380 will need to use gates with at least two passenger loading bridges". The Chicago Tribune editorial board, remarking on proposed renovations at O'Hare, stated: "No way would Emirates or the half-dozen other airlines now flying A380s require their passengers to disembark down a rolling stairway onto the tarmac in the rain or snow." Several years ago, Qantas even threatened to fly to SFO rather than use remote stands at LAX.

So two jetways seems to be the required number if an airport realistically expects to ever receive A380 service. Even JED should have gates with three bridges ready by the end of the year, a project originally slated to be completed back in 2013.

Because of a forum error message probably related to all the links, the following list will have to be divided up into a few posts.

Africa
ABJ - Abidjan [2, L/L] (Source)
DUR - Durban [2] (Source)
JNB - Johannesburg [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
MRU - Mauritius [3] (Source, Source)
RUN - Réunion [2] (Source)

Asia
BKK - Bangkok [3] (Source, Source)
BLR - Bangalore [2] (Source, Source)
BOM - Mumbai [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
CAN - Guangzhou [3] (Source, Source)
CTS - Sapporo [2, L/L] (Source)
DEL - Delhi [3] (Source, Source, Source)
GYD - Baku [2] (Source)
HKG - Hong Kong [2, U/L] (Source, Source, Source)
HND - Tokyo [3] (Source, Source, Source)
HYD - Hyderabad [2+] (Source)
ICN - Seoul [3] (Source, Source)
KCH - Kuching [2] (Source, Source)
KIX - Osaka [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
KMG - Kunming [2, L/L] (Source, Source)
KUL - Kuala Lumpur [3] (Source, Source)
MNL - Manila [2, L/L] (Source, Source)
NGO - Nagoya [2, L/L] (Source)
NRT - Tokyo [3] (Source, Source, Source)
PEK - Beijing [3] (Source, Source)
PVG - Shanghai [3] (Source, Source)
SIN - Singapore [3] (Source, Source)
SZX - Shenzhen [2, L/L] (Source)
TPE - Taipei [2, U/L] (Source)

Europe
AMS - Amsterdam [2, U/L] (Source, Source, Source)
BCN - Barcelona [3] (Source, Source)
BHX - Birmingham [2, L/L] (Source, Source, Source)
CDG - Paris [3] (Source, Source)
CPH - Copenhagen [2] (Source)
DME - Moscow [3] (Source, Source)
DUS - Düsseldorf [3] (Source)
FCO - Rome [2] (Source, Source)
FRA - Frankfurt [3] (Source)
LGW - London [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
LHR - London [3] (Source, Source)
MAN - Manchester [2, U/L] (Source)
MUC - Munich [3] (Source, Source)
MXP - Milan [3] (Source, Source)
NCE - Nice [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
PRG - Prague [2+, L/L] (Source, Source, Source)
VKO - Moscow [3] (Source, Source)
ZRH - Zürich [3] (Source, Source)

Middle East
AUH - Abu Dhabi [2+, U/L] (Source)
DOH - Doha [3] (Source, Source)
DXB - Dubai [3]
KWI - Kuwait City [2, U/L] (Source, Source, Source)

North America
ATL - Atlanta [2, U/L] (Source)
DFW - Dallas [3] (Source, Source)
HNL - Honolulu [2, L/L] (Source, Source)
IAD - Washington [2, U/L] (Source, Source, Source)
IAH - Houston [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
JFK - New York City [3] (Source, Source)
LAS - Las Vegas [2, L/L] (Source)
LAX - Los Angeles [3] (Source, Source, Source)
MIA - Miami [3] (Source)
PIT - Pittsburgh [2, L/L] (Source + Source + Source)
SFO - San Francisco [3] (Source)
YUL - Montréal [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
YVR - Vancouver [2, U/L] (Source)
YYZ - Toronto [2, U/L] (Source, Source, Source)

Oceania
AKL - Auckland [2, U/L] (Source, Source, Source)
BNE - Brisbane [3] (Source)
MEL - Melbourne [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
PER - Perth [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
SYD - Sydney [3] (Source, Source)

South America
EZE - Buenos Aires [2, L/L] (Source, Source, Source)

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Very Likely 2+ Boarding Bridges
CTU - Chengdu (Source)
MAD - Madrid (Source)

Likely 2+ Boarding Bridges
CAI - Cairo (Source, Source)
HGH - Hangzhou (Source)
SVO - Moscow (Source)
YEG - Edmonton [2] (Source + Source + Source)

Probably Less Than 2 Boarding Bridges
ADL - Adelaide [1] (Source)
ATH - Athens [1] (Source, Source)
BKI - Kota Kinabalu (Source)
BTH - Batam [1+] (Source)
CHC - Christchurch [1] (Source)
CUN - Cancún [1] (Source, Source, Source)
GLA - Glasgow [1] (Source, Source, Source)
KNO - Medan [1] (Source, Source)
MSP - Minneapolis/St. Paul [1] (Source, Source)
MVD - Montevideo [1] (Source)
NAN - Nadi (Source)
NAS - Nassau [1] (Source)
NAT - Natal (Source, Source)
OVB - Novosibirsk (Source)
PUJ - Punta Cana (Source, Source)
SDQ - Santo Domingo [1] (Source, Source, Source)
STN - London (Source)
UIO - Quito [1] (Source, Source)
YYC - Calgary (Source)

Upgrading
ARN - Stockholm [2+] (Source)
BEG - Belgrade [2] (Source, Source, Source)
BOS - Boston [2+] (Source, Source)
BRU - Brussels (Source)
CCU - Kolkata [2, U/L] (Source, Source)
CGK - Jakarta [3] (Source, Source)
CKG - Chongqing (Source, Source)
CMB - Colombo [2] (Source, Source)
CPT - Cape Town (Source, Source)
CRK - Manila [2] (Source)
CSX - Changsha (Source, Source)
FDF - Martinique [2] (Source)

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Upgrading (cont'd)
GIG - Rio de Janeiro (Source, Source, Source)
GRU - São Paulo (Source, Source)
HAM - Hamburg (Source)
JED - Jeddah [3] (Source, Source, Source)
MCO - Orlando (Source, Source, Source)
MCT - Muscat (Source, Source)
ORY - Paris (Source, Source)
PTY - Panama City (Source, Source)
SCL - Santiago (Source)
VIE - Vienna (Source, Source, Source)

Possibly Upgrading
BAH - Bahrain [2] (Source, Source)
DPS - Denpasar (Source)
DUB - Dublin (Source, Source, Source)

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Possibly Upgrading (cont'd)
LIM - Lima (Source)
ORD - Chicago (Source, Source, Source)
SEA - Seattle (Source)
TNR - Antananarivo (Source, Source)
UVF - Saint Lucia (Source, Source, Source)
VCE - Venice (Source)

jcwr56

Tue May 19, 2015 11:54 pm

Quoting HALtheAI (Reply 27):
Possibly Upgrading (cont'd)
LIM - Lima (Source)
ORD - Chicago (Source, Source, Source)
SEA - Seattle (Source)
TNR - Antananarivo (Source, Source)
UVF - Saint Lucia (Source, Source, Source)
VCE - Venice (Source)

Progress being made for ORD. Gate M11 at Terminal 5, duel bridge. Funding being voted on currently with hopes for approval to start this year and completion by March 2016.

It's not a done deal yet, but looks extremely positive.

ualbq200

Wed May 20, 2015 12:04 am

LAS - Las Vegas

Since when?

KELPkid

Wed May 20, 2015 1:22 am

I just wonder what's going to happen one day when QF 7 has to divert to ELP (it has happened before, with a 744ER). ELP has one widebody gate-A4. A 747 barely fits in there, and IIRC, the wingtip is hanging over the rock fence between the car rental parking lot and the ramp...  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 am

Quoting ualbq200 (Reply 29):

Was covered lower down in my first post.
LAS: Would cause issues with adjacent taxiways being unusable while the whale made its way to the gate, but MIA has the same problems which don't stop LH from flying there. (Source)

mjoelnir

Thu May 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Emirates flies its A380 to JED. No air bridges are used. There are daily three flights with the A380 with Emirates. The North Terminal used for non Saudi Arabian airlines has no air bridges. Everybody is bused to remote stands and stairs are used, be it an A330, 787, 777 or A380 or whatever. On the A380 they use 4 stairs to L1, L2, L4 and L5. Boarding and deboarding went reasonable fast when I arrived in and departed from JED.

If you would NEED air bridges than this airport is not airplane ready. But in reality it sees everyday several types of big airplanes including the A380.

So any airport having runways and taxiways and a remote stand for an A380 with suitable stairs and buses to drive the passengers, is A380 ready.

The counting of air bridges in regards to an airport being A380 ready is an obsession.

zeke

Thu May 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Qantas has parked the A380 at the terminal at NAN previously.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 33):
Qantas has parked the A380 at the terminal at NAN previously.

Yeah, I tossed it under "Probably Less Than 2 Boarding Bridges" in my second list because I couldn't find any more information on it other than the picture in an Aviation Herald report.

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 32):

And yet JED remains the sole instance that you can cite. If EK was so unconcerned, why has it waited until other airports finish upgrade projects, including the addition of jet bridges, before sending A380s there?

Half the airports in the world with a runway long enough can probably find a remote stand or deicing pad to park an A380. If you use such a broad definition, then congratulations, the A380 could fly almost anywhere from day 1. Hell, even a remote stand isn't truly necessary since the pax can just disembark on the runway if the airport doesn't mind the whale clogging one. As long as the whale has enough space to turn around, you're all set.

It could be the bilateral agreement between Saudi Arabia and UAE has limits on the number of flights, and that, combined with heavy demand and the unavailability of air bridges for all non-SV flights anyway, led EK to use the A380 to Jeddah. But that hardly makes JED a typical case. I get the sense, based on the 50 or so other destinations served by A380s, all with at least dual-jetways, that airlines use a stricter definition of A380 readiness when planning routes.

mjoelnir

Thu May 21, 2015 6:22 pm

Quoting HALtheAI (Reply 34):
And yet JED remains the sole instance that you can cite. If EK was so unconcerned, why has it waited until other airports finish upgrade projects, including the addition of jet bridges, before sending A380s there?

But JED is one of their BIG A380 destinations. How many destinations do get 3 Emirates A380 a day? It shows that you do not need all the elaborate boarding bridges and that Emirates is prepared to send the A380 to a place without any airbridge.

Half the airports in the world with a runway long enough can probably find a remote stand or deicing pad to park an A380. If you use such a broad definition, then congratulations, the A380 could fly almost anywhere from day 1.

That is exactly my point. That has been done with the 747 to tourist destinations over the years. You perhaps need some ground handling equipment, like for example high lift catering trucks, but that stuff has also been manhandled up the stairs on a 747 at a tourist destination.
Of course do the airlines like all the bells and whistles when they arrive with their "flagship", but some here should come down of the high horse and deem it necessary for any and every A380 operation.

prebennorholm

Fri May 22, 2015 12:49 am

And yet JED remains the sole instance that you can cite.

There will be many more such airports. ARN for instance. Translated from your own "source" in reply #25:

"ARN is an approved alternate airport A380 airport. This summer some taxiway edges will be reinforced to take the additional weight making ARN ready for ordinary A380 traffic. During the coming years gates will be rebuilt to serve fully loaded A380s".

There are many grades of being "ready" for all sorts of airliners. Air bridges to fit sure make the airports "more ready". But if air bridges are mandatory to make an airport "ready", then....

For instance, there is no doubt that ZRH is A380 ready already. But is it CRJ-900 ready? Is it ARJ-100 ready? Not according to your definition.

That doesn't prevent ZRH from having dozens of thousands of CRJ and ARJ ops every year, and 90+% of the times I have been there it was on those plane types.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

ElanusNotatus

Fri May 22, 2015 5:46 am

f EK was so unconcerned, why has it waited until other airports finish upgrade projects, including the addition of jet bridges, before sending A380s there?

Sometimes it might be that the airport itself decides it isn't ready.

For example, EK had wanted to start A380 services to PER over two years ago. Yet the airport quite simply said that they were not ready, citing the absense of suitable jetbridges. When a jetbridge was built, the airport announced that it would not be made available until other infrastructure was in place, i.e. expanded arrivals and border control areas! and a new Emirates Lounge.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

mjoelnir

Fri May 22, 2015 7:57 am

And the requirements of the A380 regarding the runway are not that far out as some seem to think.
At MTOW the A380 needs not as long a runway for take off, as the 737-900ER or the 777-300ER both also at MTOW.
Hot and high at max MTOW should not bother her to much.
On some airports parallel taxiways or runways are temporary closed when the A380 taxies, but again that has been done for the 747 too at times.
So there are a lot more airports out there able to take the occasional A380 than advertised.

HALtheAI
Topic Author

Fri May 22, 2015 8:38 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 36):

Hence why I put ARN in the "Upgrading" category. Until at least one gate is ready, I don't foresee EK using anything but 777s on that route.

I've only ever said two or more jet bridges are what's required if an airport wants to realistically see regularly scheduled service. 1/week charter-style (ie. seasonal) airlines potentially wouldn't care, but none own them and I don't expect many ever will.

Regardless, since there was definitely room for interpretation for what "A380-ready" might mean, I even clearly defined at the very top of my first post what my list consisted of. If all you want is a diversionary airport, a sufficiently long runway is going to be the chief requirement. Any such list would be enormous, probably having a thousand airfields. My question is, would anyone find that very useful?

If it makes everyone happy, mentally replace the thread title with "Airports with 2+ Jet Bridges for the A380" since I can't edit it anymore.