kimberlyRJ
Topic Author

Your FS Pre Flight Procedure!?

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi All

Last night my husband called me a geek because of the amount of pre planning I do for my flight sim flights.

I look at weather, NATracks and other information and also load factors of BA flights of the day, and add all this onto my FS flight, checking the route etc etc etc

So my question is, what do YOU do on your ‘normal’ FS flight? Long or Short haul? What’s your preflight procedure? How long does it take? and what add on shoft ware do you use to assist you?

Kimberly.

ACDC8

RE: Your FS Pre Flight Procedure!?

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:25 pm

I turn on my computer, sit down, figure out where I want to fly from and to, pick an aircraft, pick a time of day and season, choose the weather, make flight plan and click on "fly now".

Pretty sad, huh? Big grin
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Mir

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Quoting Kimberlyrj (Thread starter):
I look at weather, NATracks and other information and also load factors of BA flights of the day, and add all this onto my FS flight, checking the route etc etc etc

I pretty much do all of that except for load factors.

Since I don't use the big complex add-ons (my poor laptop can't handle it, even in FS9), I do pretty much US domestic flights only with airway or VOR-to-VOR navigation. And since the FS GPS is just about useless, I forgo it in favor of doing it all myself. This means pulling out my IFR enroute charts for reference on which VORs and radials to use, printing out the charts for the SIDs, STARs and approaches I'll be using, checking weather, winds, alternates, routes on Flightaware, etc.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

co777er

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:41 am

Vatsim:
1. Load FS9
2. Set-up the "Create a Flight"
3. Connect
4. Set-up FMC with route (about 2-5 mins)
5. Call for clearance

Total Time = Less than 10 mins.

ANITIX87

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:39 am

I like to start on the ramp with everything off.

1) I start up everything in the appropriate order (or what I claim is the right order) and then look up my flight plan. I always use real-weather and real-time so the conditions are accurate.

2) I look up SIDs, STARs, ATIS, and weather forecasts along the route.

3) I calculate fuel and pick what I think is a realistic payload.

4) I enter my route into the FMS (X-plane's is very limited, so just VORs, NDBs, and FIXES, although a lot of them in Europe aren't included)

5) Finally, I then call the tower for clearance (this is the extent to which I use X-plane's ATC, since it's terrible).

6) Set the autopilot for my speed, next altitude, and initial heading.

7) Set take-off trim and flaps, and write down my reference speeds.

8) Lift-off!

Total time is quite a bit since looking up routes and entering the data into the FMS is a pain in the butt, so I'd say from launching the application to wheels up is somewhere between 15 and 25 minutes depending on the length of the route.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

QFA380

Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:36 am

When I am using the Level-D panel 762 or 3, I normally just get a flightplan either by simroutes solely or flightaware as well. Then just open FS, with FSPax I try to put as much pax and cargo in as possible to beef up my own stats, then I will just guess about how much fuel I'll need for the flight, write down ZFW, load the pax, do the FMS and away I go. I normally will make sure everything is shut down then begin, and that takes about 5 but when I don't, I can get pax instantly and FMS done in less than a minute. Alot of it can be done on the taxi and when ATL is you're primary airport there's plenty of time spent waiting.

Last night my husband called me a geek because of the amount of pre planning I do for my flight sim flights.

Does he do as much planning for his flights as you do for yours? Or do dispatchers do it for him?

cpd

Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:00 am

1. Load AS6.5
2. Load fuel and payload configurations, work-out takeoff CG, speeds, etc.
3. Load FS2004
4. Set airport and stand (victor 14)
5. ground power
6. INS
7. various other things (too many to list here)
8. pushback
9. taxy
10. take-off CG
11. 3-2-1 Go!
12. 3-2-1 Noise
13. Transparencies De-Ice, De-mist
14. Assorted other things
15. TCAS goes traffic, traffic!

That's how it usually goes. And a little while after, once I've reached 43,000ft (the reheats go off) - everything calms down again, the rush is over, there is no more traffic to worry about - and I just concentrate on the plane climbing higher and going faster.  Smile And then a couple of hours later, the rush starts again, and the traffic gets bad again.

yooyoo

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:28 pm

Last night my husband called me a geek

HA!...join the club, my wife calls me that as well.  Wink

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
I turn on my computer, sit down, figure out where I want to fly from and to, pick an aircraft, pick a time of day and season, choose the weather, make flight plan and click on "fly now".

I do what he does. Whatever i feel like doing i do, mostly circuits to practice my take offs and lands.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Delboy

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:56 pm

I make sure my chairs at the right height and that I have a drink and a snack to hand, sometimes I can be there for up to 3 hours.

My other half accepts what I do because she knows where I am if I'm simming, there's a lot to be said for a womans logic!!

csturdiv

Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):

Pretty sad, huh?

That is what I do as well, except my flights always start from the airport that I previously landed at. After loading the flight, I'll let FS run for a few minutes to get the AI moving and in action. This usually gives me enough time to head downstairs and get a beer or something else to enjoy while flying.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

kimberlyRJ
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello

It's nice to know that I am not the only person who is called a geek out there  Smile

My husband is a Captain for British Airways on their Boeing 772 fleet and he keeps on commenting that I do more pre flight preparation then they sometimes do… I just don’t like being surprised enroute!

I personally think you can never do enough pre flight preparation  Smile

Kimberly

ACDC8

Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Quoting Csturdiv (Reply 9):
That is what I do as well, except my flights always start from the airport that I previously landed at. After loading the flight, I'll let FS run for a few minutes to get the AI moving and in action. This usually gives me enough time to head downstairs and get a beer or something else to enjoy while flying.

I'll do that everyonce in awhile too. Make a note of what airport I'm at, gate number, time of day and then continue on next time I have a bit of time.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

UltimateDelta

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:40 pm

After my flight loads, I turn on the lights, lower the flaps a few degrees, switch to the tail view, and gun it.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

kimberlyRJ
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:53 pm

Hello all,

I always depart from the last airport I landed at, mainly do long haul as I work for BA on long haul services, shame there are no good B772 add on's around!

Kimberly.

airivoireA321

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 am

Quoting Kimberlyrj (Reply 13):
Hello all,

I always depart from the last airport I landed at, mainly do long haul as I work for BA on long haul services, shame there are no good B772 add on's around!

Kimberly.

Just try to buy a Wilco B777 or PSS B77 but for the last , I think they ceased making add on for Flight simulator.
Me
1) load Fs build for the flight plan
2) 747 fuel planner(from avsim )
3) PMDG 747 Load Manager or 747F load manager.
4)start Active Sky Weather Engine
5)start FS9
6) No smoking sign on and cockpit door locked
7)Insert waypoints into the FMS (sid vor intersection ...)
8)TCAS test
9)Set Trim
10)Seat Belt on
11) engine start procedure
12) flaps
13) controls check
14)TCAS in TA/RA
15) set 60% and TO/GA and ------------------------------------V1---------rotate------V2------->

staralliance38

Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:05 pm

After I get my aircraft, I go to the outside plane view (spot view) and I just take off lol. I'm always already on the runway  Smile
Roar, lion, roar

GCDEG

Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:22 pm

So my question is, what do YOU do on your 'normal' FS flight? Long or Short haul? What's your preflight procedure? How long does it take? and what add on shoft ware do you use to assist you?

I have to admit I'm like you - I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to realism so have to everything just so.

I've just got a new PC so I'm still installing traffic and scenery etc at the moment but when I get back to flying the first thing I'll do is figure out what aircraft, route and flight to do. I only do live flights. ie ones that are actually about to leave in the particular time zone of my departing airports country and I do this by checking departure boards on their website. I'll check I have the particular aircraft and if I don't I'll download it and start FS9 with AS6.5 (so I can get accurate live weather) making sure I'm at roughly the correct stand at the departing airfield. This can sometimes mean checking photos on airliners to double check. Then I'll print off the SID/STAR ILS Airfield charts, check the NOTAMS and weather for the arrival and departing airfields and usually enroutes/diversions too. I've got loads of paper charts that I've collected so I'll use them to plot a route and if the aircraft has an FMC program that and work out the fuel and payloads. Once the flight plan's been loaded I'll execute it and begin with the before start checklist. I've got loads of checklists that I use to make sure all the procedures are followed as accurately as possible.

Does take a bit of time but gives me a lot of satisfaction knowing I'm trying to be as realistic as possible.

GCDEG
The best thing invented - Winglets!

LUPOR1D

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:17 pm

-find route
-possibly get someone to fly with me
-load up
-connect to vatsim
-go thru checks
-get fmc setup
-file plan
-get clearance
-fly
-land at destination
-possibly repeat it all over again....
Always lurking.

UltimateDelta

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 12):

Of course, I always taxi to the runway first, usually around fifty miles per hour.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010