Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KAUST
Topic Author

Instructing On F/M Simulator Without Medical?

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Hey all -

so by a thread topic posted by another user, got me to thinking:

I am a very avid flight sim pilot on FSX, (at least *I* I think I am!), and yet am sadly unable to qualify for a r/l medical certificate.

Therefore, had been told, yet not quite sure of the likelihood of it, that a person whom cannot receive a medical is still able to instruct (?), or at least work on a full-motion flight simulator? I'd love to do so, yet not really sure of any potential or possibly implications of it as of yet. Am still getting it all figured out.   As well as with my life.

Any thoughts on if this is doable would be most certainly appreciated!!

Sincerely,
KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

Woodreau

RE: Instructing On F/M Simulator Without Medical?

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:09 pm

Yes it is possible to instruct without a medical certificate:

The caveat is that you can not be the pilot in command (as you have no valid medical certificate), so you can instruct pilots working on their instrument rating or private pilots working on their commercial certificate, but you can not teach student pilots working on their private certificate. And glider instructors do not require a medical.

As far as teaching in a full motion simulator, yes there are pilots who fail their medical and become full time simulator instructors, but usually they hold an ATP and already have a lot of experience flying prior.

If you cannot hold a medical certificate, have you been denied a medical certificate? or have you just not applied for one.

If you just haven't applied for one, and have never been denied a medical, you can get a sport pilot certificate and fly using your driver's license as medical certification.

[Edited 2015-03-20 16:12:08]
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

PITrules

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:20 am

To add to what was already said, only a Third Class medical is required to take a check ride for a Commercial or ATP certificate as long as all other requirements are met. When exercising the privileges of those certificates then yes, you need the appropriate grade of medical. But for the check ride, one only needs a Third Class. The FAA made this change several years ago so as to not prevent pilots who otherwise meet the experience and skill levels from achieving a higher level of pilot certification.
FLYi

rugger

Wed May 20, 2015 12:09 am

And in some cases you can appeal the flight surgeons decision about your medical with the FAA itself in OKC. In some cases documentation about your condition from your doctor may allow the FAA to issue a waiver. You would need a lawyer who specializes in Aviation Law to help you out with the filing. And I have heard that it gets very expensive very quickly. But in some cases it does work. What the FAA is mainly looking for are conditions that may occur during flight that may render you unable to control the aircraft.

northwestEWR

Fri May 22, 2015 12:11 am

Quoting Woodreau (Reply 1):
As far as teaching in a full motion simulator, yes there are pilots who fail their medical and become full time simulator instructors, but usually they hold an ATP and already have a lot of experience flying prior.

I know several former-pilots that for whatever reason can no longer hold a medical and have become flight instructors in the full motion sims but they have decades of experience in the real cockpit and thousands of flight hours in the type they're teaching.

If you can't get a medical in the first place--I'd think your chances of being an instructor on a full-motion sim are going to be near zero. You *might* find an FBO or something that has one for something small like the King Air but without prior flight experience, I think you're in trouble.

As far as working on the sims--there are plenty of positions that don't require a medical certificate. Those are usually Simulator Support Engineers and they're usually Electrical Engineers, Mechanics, Programmers or all of the above.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart