Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AdamWright
Topic Author

Business Cards Anyone?

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:50 am

Do any of you have personalized business cards for your picture-taking efforts? If so, do you design them yourselves and where are they printed?

-Adam

tpk

RE: Business Cards Anyone?

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:07 am

Thanks to a recommendation from Glenn Stewart, I got mine done here:

http://www.clickbusinesscards.com.au

and they did an excellent, very professional job.

ua777222

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:21 am

http://www.vistaprints.com/

Not as nice but they do offer free cards with your information attached for your busincess needs. Though the one's that do cost $$ aren't as expensive and they have one cool card layout for photography;

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/stud...%7c0&category_id=3958&gallery_id=9

Thanks again,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

wietse

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:31 am

We all have AirTeamImages bussinesscards. I don't know where they were printed, but the look really nice.

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

N317AS

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:19 pm

I went with Vista Print also. I designed my own card and itcame out real nice. With the exception of photo prints, I let Vista do all my printing. As UAL777222 pointed out, here is their web site.

http://www.vistaprints.com
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

AdamWright
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:40 pm

For Vistaprints, can you design your card on photoshop and just send them the file?

(I'd love to use one of my photos as the background of the card)

N317AS

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:46 pm

That's exactly what I did. You design it with the pic, the text the way you want it and upload it to their site. You need to use their scale to make sure you don't cut off the edges, but it is fairly easy. At the top of the screen click on BUSINESS CARDS, a menu will drop down and click on UPLOAD YOUR OWN BUSINESS CARD. Then read a little if you want to and click on Get Started. Go from there.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

cancidas

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:00 pm

i ordered a box of 50 from a local printing house. not the best quality but it serves it's purpose. i had wanted to do it all on my own, but it was too much work and i handn't the time. time to get serious with this though, i'll be using the vistaprints website to order my new cards...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

N317AS

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:07 pm

It's fairly easy Cancidas and the quality was excellent.

cv63

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:32 pm

Hey Adam,

Quoting N317AS (reply 4):
I went with Vista Print also. I designed my own card and itcame out real nice. With the exception of photo prints, I let Vista do all my printing. As UAL777222 pointed out, here is their web site.
http://www.vistaprints.com

I went with Vista Prints as well. It turned out pretty good. I paid $20 for 250 cards.

Ken

bigphilnyc

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:49 pm

Having somethign to show police officers if you get stopped is always a plus. business crds aren't the best, but if you know have no published works to be able to carry around, this is your best bet.

I had it designed using my site's logo, with my web designer setting it up as an EPS file. I then brought it to a friend who runs a printing place and got 1,000 done.

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/Card2.jpg

Was only like $35 on a pretty nice stock.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

N317AS

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Those thick black lines your printer added really detract from the rest of the card Phil.  Big grin

aagold

Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:12 pm

I design and print my own and customer photo business cards. Doing so gives me more lattitude in creating cards for the right ocassion and the cost is minimal. Some examples:

Cards without contact data on the face are printed on the reverse with that information.

Art

jakbar

Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:58 am

Art -

I'd love to hear how you do this yourself, as I've always wanted to design my own business card. It's probably easier than I think it is...but it sure would be nice to get some tips. I've seen your cards before (obviously), and I like the way they come out.

Josh

aagold

Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Josh

All it is really is Photoshop skills. Not much more to it than that.

Select the image and make a high res file the size of the business card. Add text at the locations you want. Print a sample on a 4 x 6 piece of photo quality paper, and adjust the image if necessary. When satisfied with how the image prints save a copy as a high quality .jpg image. Use the select all then copy the .jpg image.

Open a new image in PS 8.5 x 11 inches, transparent background and 300 dpi. Paste ten copies of the copied image onto the page in two vertical columns making sure there is room for the borders. Print the final image and then cut. If you want the cards to look good then you'll need a good straight edge cutter, scissors won't do.

Art

Bruce

Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:31 pm

How effective is printing the contact stuff on the rear? I have not seen many business cardss like that.

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

aagold

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:18 pm

Bruce,

If they want to contact you, they'll take the time to turn the card over. The front of the card does have the most important info, the name, and the rear is just supplemental data. One advantage to using the backside is that it allows you to say more and not detract from the impact of the image on the face of the card.

Art

NumberTwelve

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting Bruce (reply 15):
How effective is printing the contact stuff on the rear?

I don't like them, because we use a Businesscard scanner and it only scans one site. If there are infos at the back site you have to add these infos manually in the software.
signature censored by admin - so check my profile