YZFOO7F
Topic Author

Question About Monitors

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:18 am

Hey all,

I'm looking at a new Dell laptop for school. I've read here that laptops aren't the best for photo editing because you can't see all the detail that you would with a regular monitor. My question is, when choosing either a glossy high resolution monitor for the laptop, or the "matte" anti-glare option, which is the lesser of two evils for photo editing?

Thanks,
Ryan
Promise me you'll always leave the ground

Fly747

RE: Question About Monitors

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:51 am

Hey Ryan,

I have used both types of screens for editing on a laptop but prefer the 'matte' one. It probably comes down to your personal preference.

Ivan

DeltaAVL

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting YZFOO7F (Thread starter):
I'm looking at a new Dell laptop for school. I've read here that laptops aren't the best for photo editing because you can't see all the detail that you would with a regular monitor. My question is, when choosing either a glossy high resolution monitor for the laptop, or the "matte" anti-glare option, which is the lesser of two evils for photo editing?

I don't think it really matters, because that's just the material covering the actual screen.

But I will say that the "matte" certainly looks more professional. I'd go with that.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

YZFOO7F
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks guys.

What exactly is it about laptop monitors that make them harder to edit with?
Promise me you'll always leave the ground

Fly747

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:28 am

I'm not really an expert on specs (dot pitch, etc.) but for me it's mostly the size.

Ivan

DM

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:46 am

Quoting YZFOO7F (Reply 3):
What exactly is it about laptop monitors that make them harder to edit with?

I've also noticed that if editing with laptop screens they can make images look much sharper than if you were to look at it on a regular monitor.

prat

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting DM (Reply 5):
I've also noticed that if editing with laptop screens they can make images look much sharper than if you were to look at it on a regular monitor.

Bang on there. I generally suffer from soft rejections when I use my Vaio laptop, as well it seems to be considerably brighter (more contrast) than my home LCD. The screen is incredibly sharp and great for simply viewing photos, but I can't edit worth a damn on it!

coninpa

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:08 pm

Hi there,

The technology used for laptop screens is usually for "general purpose" computing on an "easy to transport" equipment. They are usually far away from the quality offered by screen manufacturers who provide, in their catalog, screens specifically engineered for graphics or photo editing. A lot of technological features can make the difference... and the price !  Sad There are some exceptions: I have a MacBook Pro 17" matte screen. This screen is not bad, but I nevertheless make a final check on my home TFT monitor before uploading and still find differences.

Notice however that some photographers edit on laptos and get accepted...  Wink
Patrick De Coninck