Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

787seattle
Topic Author

Starting Out On Aviation Photography

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:23 am

So I'm 13 and live in Seattle, WA. I have been into Civil Aviation for several years now and on my most recent trips (SEA-MEM and SEA to HNL and KOA), found that I want to try to take up aviation photography as a hobby on my down time. So far, the only way I have been able to take pictures is out the window of the a/c. I have been using a Canon EOS 30D. I want to know the very basics of aviation photography and the best spotting points at either BFI or SEA. What would the best techniques be for capturing landings, takeoffs, moving a/c, or any other good shots? What programs besides Photoshop could I use (I already have that but want an easier program)? Also, what other general tips would be good for just the basics?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Student - KELN

JeffM

RE: Starting Out On Aviation Photography

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:43 am

Take a look at shots from BFI in the database and you should be able to figure out where they were taken easy enough. As to techniques, you can leave that camera on P mode, and it will work well enough to take a decent picture. If you want to know what is going on with the settings, go to the library and get a good book on photography, read it, and practice.

witticism

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting 787seattle (Thread starter):
I want to try to take up aviation photography as a hobby on my down time.

I'm rolling on the floor with laughter ... thanks for that, I need a good laugh.

Every moment of the day when I was 13 was 'down time'  Wink

Welcome to a great hobby ... wish I started when I was 13!

For more ideas on composing shots and what is required for A.net check out the discussion below;
New To The Hobbie (by USA1890 Feb 21 2008 in Aviation Photography)

and specifically the useful links in this response;

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 7):
Very good, IMHO editing is the most imporant thing to get a photo accepted (besides the actual taking the picture). If you are not familiar with photo editing, look around on the internet for workflows. Here is one by fellow A.net Photographer Fergul McCLean:
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/PsProc.pdf

Also, here are some general tips on the upload page, that may or may not help answer some questions:
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/

And here is a Illustrated Guide by a fellow photographer Thierry Deutch on reject reasons, he gives info about the rejection reason, and some photo examples to visually show what the issue looks like.

http://planecatcher.com/IGRR.htm

Hope that helps.
-Matt

Good luck and hope you have fun with the new hobby.
Cheers
Sean
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

RCoulter

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Here is a great guide for BFI:

PlaneSpotter.com BFI Guide

[Edited 2008-03-11 09:24:33]

787seattle
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Quoting RCoulter (Reply 3):
Here is a great guide for BFI:

PlaneSpotter.com BFI Guide

wow thanks for posting this one. I have taken a few pictures from the museum (given I have a membership there and am usually looking around there and the airport at least once a month) but never really stopped to find good places to shoot.

Quoting Witticism (Reply 2):
Every moment of the day when I was 13 was 'down time'

in an ideal world, i'd be there.

thanks for all your posts.
Student - KELN

spencer

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:15 pm

In this digital age we live in you can afford to practice as much as you like. Fire away and enjoy it. Try and hook up with like-minded people so you can enjoy it even more. The 30D is a great camera, it will certainly serve you well. As to the editing package, I'd stick with PS if I was you; it doesn't have to be difficult even if it is intimidating. There's many "simple" functions that you can use and after time the other functions will come into play.
One other point, a simple one nonetheless, is to "pan" with the aircraft, and by that I mean follow it with the camera whilst looking through the eyepiece, from before you shoot AND for a second or two AFTER you've taken the shot.Get you body into a good position for the pan too, it makes things less uncomfortable.
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

787seattle
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:47 pm

Quoting Spencer (Reply 5):
"pan" with the aircraft

ok thanks. that should work well.
Student - KELN

dimoko

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:05 pm

Quoting Witticism (Reply 2):

Quoting 787seattle (Thread starter):
I want to try to take up aviation photography as a hobby on my down time.

I'm rolling on the floor with laughter ... thanks for that, I need a good laugh.

Every moment of the day when I was 13 was 'down time'

good point!!

it makes me wonder what kind of shots a 13 year old will get with the same camera as i have.

and if i was 13, my parents would not have trusted me with anything more expensive than a drugstore disposable camera!

My advice to you is to take a lot of pictures, you can start in programmed modes as one member suggested.

and when you get back home, and begin looking at them, take a look at the exif data and see what settings got you what results. this will help you in chosing settings in the future.

good luck, i wish i had BFI and Paine field in my area, great places to spot!
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams