Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

withak

RE: Post - Screening Thread Part 2

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:08 am

I had this shot rejected for oversharpened but are having problems spotting where this occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20090101_20080107_A6ERG_A1.jpg

Cheers

Kris

Psych

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Kris.

I have been disappointed not to receive any feedback on my request for clarification about my oversharpening issue on the Monarch photo 15 posts above - so I will try to help out here.

On your photo I do see a couple of areas of slight oversharpening, with small jaggies on the underside of the fuselage, at the rear and front (particularly behind the nosewheel and under the tail) and also the rear edge of the horizontal stabiliser. There are slight jaggies on the tail logo where the black meets the white.

I hope this helps.

Paul

fergulmcc

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 am

Quoting MarcelSchmidt (Reply 249):
I thought a screener could give some feedback as well about this rejection.
Mhh..but thanks again Fergul.

You're welcome!

With the exception of a few, there are a number of people who I have commented on their rejections and pre-screening shots who haven't bothered to even acknowledge your input or even say thanks. So unfortunately I'll be selective as to who's images I comment on or help out. Paul, you know this has nothing to do with you as we chat on an e-mail basis.
This could also be a reason why Screeners don't post too much here.

Quoting Psych (Reply 251):
On your photo I do see a couple of areas of slight oversharpening, with small jaggies on the underside of the fuselage, at the rear and front (particularly behind the nosewheel and under the tail) and also the rear edge of the horizontal stabiliser. There are slight jaggies on the tail logo where the black meets the white.

I would agree with Paul here.

Fergul  sun 

withak

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks for pointing that out for me Paul. I've done another edit and uploaded it. Here's to hoping all goes well.

Kris

varig767

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Hello all,

I was a bit disappointed to receive the following picture rejected, as it is in my opinion one of the best pictures I ever shot.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/4833/dsc01004ow5.jpg

It was rejected for 'center' and 'colour'.

Does anyone has advice to modify the picture?

Kind regards, Martijn

DiamondFlyer

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:31 pm

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/8157/n608fx1sharpenfixbrightlq5.jpg

This one has been rejected a couple of times. First for grainy, soft and dark, then for just dark, and the third time was rejected for soft and dark. Is it worth continuing or just abandon the shot?

Any advise?

-DiamondFlyer

fergulmcc

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Quoting Varig767 (Reply 254):
It was rejected for 'center' and 'colour'.

Have a look at the other three images, compare them to yours and you will see the difference. Based on them the rejection would be right, harsh as it is with only 3 images in the DB!

Fergul  sun 

varig767

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Hello Fergul,

Thank you for your reply. I opened the rejected picture in PS and I think I corrected the colour issue. But the center-rejection???

I can't even see if it is too high or too low in the frame.

Kind regards, Martijn

Corrected for colours:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9411/dsc01004aq1.jpg

TupolevTu154

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:06 pm

I cringe every time I get a rejection, and I've just had four out of 6 so far today mostly due to contrast and colour (It was hazy)

Here's one in particular I'm a little disappointed about

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20090102_IMG_6465edit.jpg

This was contrast (too much?) and colour (Red?). I've been having a hard time getting the colours right on all my photos from that particular trip, every time I decrease the red it goes green etc.

Any input on how I can cure it?

Thanks  Smile

EZEIZA

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:02 pm

Rejected for Soft, Level and contrast

No biggie there for soft, but I would appreciate explanations on the contrast (the whites are not whites apparently, according to the rejection) and most of all the level rejection.

The references for levelling are not there, and the few that possibly could be used are perfectly level. And as I mentioned in the appeal, from this angle all shots will look this way as far as leveling goes.
Since I did not get any kind of explanation in the appeal rejection, just the same rejection reasons, I would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance

fergulmcc

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Quoting Varig767 (Reply 257):

Looks better but it is too high in the frame!

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 258):

In PS, click on Image-adjustments-hue/saturation, select reds from the drop down menu use your eye droper and click on a part of the image that has the most red and decrease the saturation down a bit, about -6 should do it. Personally I knda like the image the way it is.

Fergul  sun 

TupolevTu154

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 260):
In PS, click on Image-adjustments-hue/saturation, select reds from the drop down menu use your eye droper and click on a part of the image that has the most red and decrease the saturation down a bit, about -6 should do it. Personally I knda like the image the way it is.

I'm going to be totally honest and say that In the two years I have been uploading here I have never used that method before. It solves all my problems! If only I knew of that all this time, my photos wouldn't look so odd!

Thank you Big grin

walter2222

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:00 pm

have been disappointed not to receive any feedback on my request for clarification about my oversharpening issue on the Monarch photo 15 posts above - so I will try to help out here.

Hi Paul,

I can understand your disappointment, but maybe it has to do something with the fact that others - like me - cannot open the picture (as I pointed out in reply 243). I still cannot open it today...
If you still want a second opinion, you can always send it to me (via e-mail), I will gladly take a look at it.

Happy New Year to all!!!

Walter

Plainplane

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Here is an unusual rejection from a few months ago. First it was rejected for soft, then I reuploaded it at a later date and it was rejected for sharp and quality. I haven't even touched it.
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/4004/n558jbcockpityp9.jpg

How would I improve this if one rejection is for one reason and the other being exactly the opposite?  Confused

fergulmcc

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 261):
I'm going to be totally honest and say that In the two years I have been uploading here I have never used that method before. It solves all my problems! If only I knew of that all this time, my photos wouldn't look so odd!

You're welcome, but use it lightly, You only need fine adjustments to get your photo right, the reverse can also be done in that if its lacking in color you can give the whole photo a slight punch but as always, in moderation. Instead of selecting a specific color leave it on Master and increase the saturation a small bit usually between +10 and +15 will be suffice.

Have Fun! Big grin

Fergul  sun 

fergulmcc

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:38 pm

Quoting Plainplane (Reply 263):

I'm surprised it didn't get rejected for not level as well.

Fergul  sun 

TupolevTu154

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 264):
a small bit usually between +10 and +15 will be suffice.

I usually +10 saturation on photos as PS tends to save photos more under-saturated than I have edited them anyway.

Thanks again  Smile

fergulmcc

Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Reply 266):
Thanks again  

No Hassel!

Take care

Fergul  sun 

EZEIZA

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:31 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 259):
Rejected for Soft, Level and contrast

No biggie there for soft, but I would appreciate explanations on the contrast (the whites are not whites apparently, according to the rejection) and most of all the level rejection.

The references for levelling are not there, and the few that possibly could be used are perfectly level. And as I mentioned in the appeal, from this angle all shots will look this way as far as leveling goes.
Since I did not get any kind of explanation in the appeal rejection, just the same rejection reasons, I would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance

Ok, so I've been doing some homework on the shot, and this is what I came up with. And the more I look into it, the more convinced I am that the level rejection should not stand, nor should the contrast. Would appreciate other views though. rgds and thanks in advance

fergulmcc

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:39 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 268):

Personally i didn't think there was anything much wrong with the original, if anything, lacking a small bit in color saturation.

Fergul  sun 

EZEIZA

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:57 am

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 269):
Personally i didn't think there was anything much wrong with the original, if anything, lacking a small bit in color saturation.

Thanks Fergul  Smile

problem is, I think I'm more frustrated now than before. Three rejecjtion reasons, even after the appeal, but the pic seems fine (or at worst did not merit 3 reasons) to everyone who has seen it except for the screener. And since no personal came with the appeal, I really don't know what to do

once again, thank you very much Fergul!

Plainplane

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 265):

Well, it didn't. Even more confusing now.

ThierryD

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Quoting Plainplane (Reply 271):
Quoting Fergulmcc (Reply 265):

Well, it didn't. Even more confusing now

needs ccw rotation to have the thrust levers horizontal.

Thierry

DeltaAVL

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Alright ya'll, it's been a while and I've got a few. Any advice is appreciated - I've been out of the game for about a year and am a bit rusty.

#1. Rejected for grainy & soft. Can she be saved with some sharpening, or is the grain also an issue?
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20090102_N14938wjmossAMA.jpg

#2. Rejected for quality & soft. Again, will some sharpening fix this or should I can it?
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/future787pilot/20090101_N14938wjmossINFLIGHT-TX.jpg

As always, thanks in advance for the advice.  Smile

Quoting Plainplane (Reply 263):
Here is an unusual rejection from a few months ago. First it was rejected for soft, then I reuploaded it at a later date and it was rejected for sharp and quality. I haven't even touched it.

Why would you reupload after a rejection without having even touched it?

fergulmcc

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Quoting Plainplane (Reply 271):

Soft it aint! Maybe your depth of field is the issue. When shooting so close you need a high Aperture to ensure most is in focus, around f16 or above would be desirable.

Fergul  sun 

moderators
Topic Author

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:07 pm