Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bcoz
Topic Author

Blanket UA Policy Prohibiting Photo/Video?

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Was on a UA flight from ORD-SAN yesterday and the flight attendant mentioned that "United Airlines policy prohibits the taking of photos or video at all times."

That's the first time I've heard that on any airline. Clearly, it would technically be prohibited when electronic devices are prohibited, but a blanket policy was something new for me.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

bcoz

photopilot

RE: Blanket UA Policy Prohibiting Photo/Video?

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Here you go, right from UA's website.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1036,00.html

"Onboard photography and video policy
United Airlines strives to make its customer experience safe and comfortable and accordingly has issued the following policy in regard to the use of personal audio and video equipment onboard its aircraft. This policy is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations.

Customers who bring personal audio and video equipment onboard may only use these items with headsets. Noise-canceling headsets may be activated. The use of still and video cameras, film or digital, including any cellular or other devices that have this capability, is permitted only for recording of personal events. However, photography, audio, or video recording of other customers without their express prior consent is strictly prohibited. Also, unauthorized photography, audio, or video recording of airline personnel, aircraft equipment, or procedures is always prohibited. Any voice, audio, video, or other photography (motion or still), recording, or transmission while on any United Airlines aircraft is strictly prohibited, except to the extent specifically permitted by United Airlines."

So clearly, personal photography, which IMHO would include out-the-window shots is perfectly ok.

virgin777

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 1):
So clearly, personal photography, which IMHO would include out-the-window shots is perfectly ok

As long as its just a picture of sky ?

Here we go ... i wonder who will be next ?

Regards

INNflight

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Helps keeping the hit-thriving cabin shot fanatics out of the database....!  
Jet Visuals

photopilot

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Quoting virgin777 (Reply 2):
As long as its just a picture of sky ?

LOL..... so UA is going to try and censor any passenger's photo that per chance shows a bit if the wing? Great way to treat your customers....NOT!!!

dl767captain

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:16 pm

It seems more like a "we can tell you no if we want" policy than a policy that will be strictly enforced.

cpd

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:28 am

Quoting bcoz (Thread starter):
That's the first time I've heard that on any airline. Clearly, it would technically be prohibited when electronic devices are prohibited, but a blanket policy was something new for me.

I don't think it would be blanket enforced. I'd suspect it's up to the cabin staff. And I've come across some really friendly ones who don't mind you taking photos onboard the plane.

I'd play it on a case by case basis - ask first.

eadster

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:57 am

From what I read there, it would be along the lines of cabin shots, regardless of the fact that if people are looking at you or the back of their heads. I can understand this, as many really get upset with having their shot taken. It all comes down to privacy. The airline sounds as though they are covering their butts in case of possible law suits etc. Out the window is not a problem from what I can tell.

757MDE

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:41 pm

I've taken many cabin pictures on board United and they have never told me anything, in fact, at one time a F/A was walking and stopped for a few seconds so I could take the picture and then continued and smiled (yes, she did!).

The only 777 cockpit I have been able to access was actually United's as well.
United is a big big Airline and there's bound to be all kinds of crews, but my experience with them photography-wise has been good and I've been told to stop doing it.
If, for example, you came at four o'clock in the afternoon, then at three o'clock I shall begin to have existential angst because you nag as hell. www.alpharamirez.com

megatop412

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:08 am

So...how long before Ch9 goes away

Getting sick of this crap. I had to 'educate' a low-level terminal staff at PHL last weekend when she attempted to tell me that photography out the window was prohibited. I told her I already talked to the TSA about it and that it was certainly not "illegal" in any way. She stopped harrassing me.

I hand out my business card on a regular basis, whenever someone approaches me. I tell them I'm working and that clients are paying for my shots (which is true). That usually shuts enough people up that the few times it doesn't work makes it an acceptable ratio to me. It also helps when I remind them that people like my father risked his ass over Nazi Germany so that we could be a people free from tyranny (I would obviously not try that outside the United States).

captainstefan

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:36 pm

I fly United at least once a month, and since the spring of '07 have never gotten on a plane without my camera over my shoulder. I am still yet to be confronted about not being allowed to take pictures, and have even been asked by crew members if I could do portraits for them. Anyone know when this rule was implemented?
Long Live the Tulip!

saintex

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Quoting captainstefan (Reply 10):
Anyone know when this rule was implemented?

It's been on the books for years, likely ever since 2001. AA has the same 'official' policy and other airlines too I suspect.

It's really a question of how the cabin crew interpret it; some are not above quoting non-existent 'security' rules or overstating policy. I'd guess 99% of the time you'd have no problem but you might encounter the 1% of FAs who are anal about it. Don't argue, note the flight and date and write to the airline afterwards if you feel like protesting.

soon7x7

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:23 pm

While this is company policy, it is not law...I am guilty of recording in flight cabin shots, forward facing aft (revealling PX faces) and felt very uncomfortable doing this. I have since refrained haing seen the expressions on their faces...Many individuals don't want to be recorded so sensativity should be exercised in these situations. Think it just makes good sense.

mah584jr

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:15 pm

I use a very small but powerful HD camera so that the FA's won't notice it at all. I generally only film takeoffs and landings anyway so by then the FA's are already seated. Just flew United not too long ago and had no issues. Here's a couple videos of my United takeoffs for those who might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZvCvlNVeX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoOhuv9udeA

jwenting

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Enforcement decisions of such rules are usually up to the cabin crew.
If you, the passenger, act like an idiot with a major attitude, it gives them an option to clamp down on you and shut you up.

So be nice, courteous, always. They're doing their job, don't impose yourself on them and slow them down (or hamper them completely).
I wish I were flying