Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mohammedzaheer
Topic Author

Metering: Canon Users

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Hey everyone!

I wanted to get some input for metering, usually I use "spot" metering for majority all my shots (landing). I am just wondering if there is any other benefits for using different metering on the camera. I have heard evaluative maybe also the way to go, so just wondering which is best to go with taking landing / taking off pictures.

Thanks

Mohammed

ckw

RE: Metering: Canon Users

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 pm

The problem with spot metering is that it does just that - meters only a small section of the image area. This can be beneficial in some shooting (eg. portraits), but there are disadvantages -

The spot meter will attempt to interpret whatever its pointing at as 14% grey. So you have to be careful composing - if the metered area falls on a white fuselage, it will under-expose. If it falls on an area in shadow, it will overexpose the image.

Sure, you can adjust for all this, but it will be potentially different for every shot.

I find for aviation work, evaluative metering does a pretty good job. It might not get it spot on, but you can use the histogram to make exposure compensation adjustments and use that for all subsequent shots (provided the lighting is consistent).

It is far less likely to be thrown off by variations in color scheme or exactly where on the aircraft you point the camera.

Cheers,

Colin

mohammedzaheer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely try evaluative next time I'm spotting!

kain989

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Center-weighted is also good if you're doing sky shots.

mohammedzaheer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Quoting kain989 (Reply 3):
Center-weighted is also good if you're doing sky shots.

Interesting are you referring to a blue sky etc? Also what about focusing is it better to have it in auto-focus or manual (center focus point)?

Thanks

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Quoting mohammedzaheer (Reply 4):
Also what about focusing is it better to have it in auto-focus or manual (center focus point)?

Do you mean auto-focus point selection? Or auto-focus versus manual focusing?

Both are very user-dependent, so there's really no right or wrong. I use auto-focus, but I only use the centerpoint. This is occasionally a hindrance, but most of the time I vastly prefer it to using multiple points.

I hardly ever use manual focusing - the only times in recent memory are when I was shooting ships at the port at night, and the autofocus wasn't doing a good job.

mohammedzaheer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):
Do you mean auto-focus point selection? Or auto-focus versus manual focusing?

Auto-focus point selection, sorry should have been more clear. I usually shoot in Manual mode.

I use auto-focus, but I only use the centerpoint.

Exactly, mine is set to center point as well. I just started reviewing the images captured the other day and noticed quite a few pictures the front of the A/C is a bit blurred while center and back is more in focus. Maybe I was too close to the aircraft? I'm using the 18-135MM IS STM.

but most of the time I vastly prefer it to using multiple points.

I just updated my camera to the T5I / 700D. If I set my focus points to auto-focus rather than just center point, will I have the multiple focus points as well when shooting?

I hardly ever use manual focusing - the only times in recent memory are when I was shooting ships at the port at night, and the autofocus wasn't doing a good job.

Right, usually at night if I can't get a focus that is where I would switch to Manual.

Thanks

Mohammed

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:00 am

Quoting mohammedzaheer (Reply 6):

Exactly, mine is set to center point as well. I just started reviewing the images captured the other day and noticed quite a few pictures the front of the A/C is a bit blurred while center and back is more in focus. Maybe I was too close to the aircraft? I'm using the 18-135MM IS STM.

Depends on focal length, distance to aircraft, and aperture.

At the typical values that I shoot at, blur more likely comes from motion blur than DOF. Parts of the aircraft move "across" the sensor at slightly different speeds/angles as the aircraft approaches and moves away from you. This is more pronounced at wider angles, but at a sufficiently slow shutter speed, you can see the a sharp nose but blurry tail, for example.

Can also occur due to lens softness. Cheaper lenses often get soft at the extremes of the focal length range, and this softness is often more prevalent toward the edges of the frame. I dealt with this for awhile with the 70-300 IS USM - I got quite used to seeing a sharp fuse but soft nose.

mohammedzaheer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:09 am

Thanks for the great info.

Next time I go spotting I'll try the auto focus points rather than just center and as well try center weight metering see how things come out.

Mohammed