Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cjmoeser
Topic Author

PDX Spotting Spots

Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:02 am

Hi all,
So I may be going to the Oregon coast in a few weeks for spring break, and may stop in Portland for a few, and want to go do some spotting. If I am able where are some good spots design on what runway is active?
Thanks!

nmraja

RE: PDX Spotting Spots

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:09 pm

There is a spot near NE 82nd closer to the 28L. Cell phone waiting area is another option for 28L on the opposite side. AS, WN and US apart from FedEx, UPS should be using this runway primarily.

Parking garages are other options for both the runways.

There is also a dirt parking lot on the Marine Drive closer to the crosswind runway which should come under the path of 10 L. If you can walk (a lot) on the Marine Drive from this parking lot, you should be able to get few spots near 10L-28R. Old viewing areas were closed about an year or so ago. I think you can still view from there, but can't park a car there even temporarily.
Raja.

cytz_pilot

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Recently they've been doing on-and-off work on the south runway. On those days all aircraft (except the smaller ones that can use the cross-wind runway) use the north runway. If you're looking to photograph and it's a sunny day, go to the north-east corner of the top floor of the short-term parking garage. Just about every active aircraft will taxi by you in nice sunlight. You won't need more than 200mm for most arrivals and departures.

I haven't been able to predict what days they're doing runway work, but it might be worth more digging. I was there on Wednesday and the south runway was inactive.

cjmoeser
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks! I should be out there on the 29th of this month nearing sunset so I should be able to (Maybe) get the Cargo Planes in sunset!

iamlucky13

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:52 am

Did anyone ever hear a reason why the turnouts along Marine Drive were blocked off? These were great spots not only for spotters (aside from the backlighting), but I also saw lots of families with children who would pull off while driving by, enjoy a few takeoffs or landings, and continue on their way.

And of course, they were fully outside the fence and never used for anything. I'm at a loss as to why anyone bothered to take the effort to block them off. Other than, of course, busybody paranoia.

nmraja

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:18 am

Quoting iamlucky13 (Reply 4):

Did anyone ever hear a reason why the turnouts along Marine Drive were blocked off? These were great spots not only for spotters (aside from the backlighting), but I also saw lots of families with children who would pull off while driving by, enjoy a few takeoffs or landings, and continue on their way.

And of course, they were fully outside the fence and never used for anything. I'm at a loss as to why anyone bothered to take the effort to block them off. Other than, of course, busybody paranoia.

Here is the reason....

http://www.kgw.com/news/Crackdown-st...Drive-levee-parking-127772868.html
Raja.

iamlucky13

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Hmmm...that doesn't make any sense either. You can drive ON the levy, but not park near it.