Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trevisan26
Topic Author

SXM And Focus Points

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:00 am

Hello everyone, I'm starting this thread by two motives. The first is to ask if anyone I'll be at SXM from January 5th till 16th, would be nice to meet some other photographer of here there. Anyone going between these dates?

The second is more about technique. Actually I've two cameras, a D610 (FX) and a D5200 (DX). Although I've the 16-35mm for full frame which is very wide angle, and an awesome lens by the way, I'm worried about the D610 focus points, which are only concentrated in the center of the frame. As usual, SXM shots tends to show the aircraft above the beach in the frame, but the focus points doesn't help. I'm thinking if its worth let the focus points right in the aircraft and have a lot of dead space (sky) above with the full frame or in this shots closer to the action use the cropped censor with a 16mm lenses (24 equivalent). Although I giving out the full frame quality and real 16mm I'm winning focus points more spread across the frame, meaning less dead space as I'am able to focus the aircraft higher. Sure I'll try both, but would be great to hear some words and tips of the great photographers we have here.

Examples:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jan Severijns
View Large View Medium

Photo © Anthony Guerra - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Yochai Mossi - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Szabo Gabor

Just to be more clear, here are a more or less accurate comparison about the focus points on DX and FX.

https://cdn.photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Nikon-D7100-vs-D600-Viewfinder.png

Cheers,
Thiago Trevisan

RobertoMelende

RE: SXM And Focus Points

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:29 pm

i'm really excited to know more about D5200 because example look very clear and brighten.

trevisan26
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting RobertoMelende (Reply 1):
i'm really excited to know more about D5200 because example look very clear and brighten.

I think you misunderstood what I've said. I don't know what kind of camera were used in the 4 shots, I just gave them as example of shots you need to focus high in frame and are somewhat difficult to have good sharpness across all the frame. But as you asked about the D5200, its a pretty good camera, I've been using it for a few years. Excluding my last 60 shots, all the others were with that camera.

airkas1

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Don't pay attention to that, I think the account is a spammer.

clickhappy

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:33 pm

You can use just a center focus point at SXM. Your cameras AF will be quick enough to achieve focus lock.

vikkyvik

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:43 am

Quoting trevisan26 (Thread starter):
Although I've the 16-35mm for full frame which is very wide angle, and an awesome lens by the way, I'm worried about the D610 focus points, which are only concentrated in the center of the frame.

When I run into those issues (the 5D2 only has focus points in the very center of frame), what I'll usually do is before the aircraft arrives, I'll focus on something the approximate distance away that I want to be in focus, then immediately switch to manual focus so the focus stays where it is, then take the shot when the aircraft is where I want it.

That way you can frame the shot how you want without worrying about where the camera is focusing.

Obvious downside is you better nail your shot, because the aircraft may not be in focus for very long, depending on the angle. But I'll often do shots like this in that way (sorry for the plug):

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vik S

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dvincent

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):
When I run into those issues (the 5D2 only has focus points in the very center of frame), what I'll usually do is before the aircraft arrives, I'll focus on something the approximate distance away that I want to be in focus, then immediately switch to manual focus so the focus stays where it is, then take the shot when the aircraft is where I want it.

This is always excellent advice, been doing this with motorsports for years with prefocus and focus hold buttons.

When it comes to the UWA shots, presuming that you're at a certain aperture value, hyperfocal focusing should take care of this problem 99% of the time. At 16mm and f/11, your hyperfocal distance will be .7m meters (about 2.4 feet), so you can set your lens to that on its distance scale and snap away in manual focus with guarantee of in-focus shots and maximizing your depth-of-field. Your bigger problem will be minimizing motion blur and correct framing, not keeping the subject in focus.
From the Mind of Minolta

trevisan26
Topic Author

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:57 am

Quoting airkas1 (Reply 3):

Don't pay attention to that, I think the account is a spammer.

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 4):
You can use just a center focus point at SXM. Your cameras AF will be quick enough to achieve focus lock.

Then I would be loosing almost half of the frame (when on the same angle as Yochai photo) and the effect of using a wide angle with a full frame camera Royal.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):
I'll focus on something the approximate distance away that I want to be in focus, then immediately switch to manual focus so the focus stays where it is, then take the shot when the aircraft is where I want it.
Obvious downside is you better nail your shot, because the aircraft may not be in focus for very long, depending on the angle. But I'll often do shots like this in that way (sorry for the plug).

Thanks for the good tip Vik, I've been thinking about that, especially about the downside when I'll be very close, it will be everything so fast, and I'm not sure even f11 would be enough to get the 747 or A340 all in focus, I will have to play and see what comes from my camera. Sure side on shots will not be a problem.

No need to apologize for the self plug, its a nice photo and example, wish I could have taken one of those, sadly 24L was closed as we discussed here in July.   

Quoting dvincent (Reply 6):
At 16mm and f/11, your hyperfocal distance will be .7m meters (about 2.4 feet), so you can set your lens to that on its distance scale and snap away in manual focus with guarantee of in-focus shots and maximizing your depth-of-field. Your bigger problem will be minimizing motion blur and correct framing, not keeping the subject in focus.

Nice advise, thanks Dan Vincent, the link was awesome too. I'll definitely be reading about the matter in the next days.

Cheers everyone!

clickhappy

Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:51 am

Quoting trevisan26 (Reply 7):
I would be loosing almost half of the frame (when on the same angle as Yochai photo) and the effect of using a wide angle with a full frame camera Royal.

What you have typed makes no sense? How would you loose "the effect of wide angle" by using a center focal point?

southpaw8669

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:48 pm

I will be at SXM on the 5th but I'll be leaving that day.
@southpawcapture

trevisan26
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:01 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 8):
What you have typed makes no sense? How would you loose "the effect of wide angle" by using a center focal point?

Aircrafts usually pass higher on the beach, my intention it to photograph them on the top/middle of the frame, composing with the beach. Center focal point do you mean the focal point on the center of the frame ou selecting one point in the extremity of the available ones? By losing the wide angle effect I mean, using the central focus point I would have to let the aircraft in the center, meaning a lot of sky on the top of the frame, consequently the wide angle effect is not at its best.

Quoting southpaw8669 (Reply 9):

I will be at SXM on the 5th but I'll be leaving that day.

Wich flight you'll be? May I be able to photograph your departure.