Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

topgun3
Topic Author

What Compact Camera For Fence Shots?

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:31 pm

I'm looking to purchase a compact camera strictly for through-the-fence type of photography for aircraft close to the fence.

My main requirements are:

-ability to stick lens thru the fence
-fast shutter response (don't like shutter press lag)
-fairly high resolution (around 20MP)
-RAW
-image stabilization
-low noise for higher ISO shooting
-zoom lens (minimum 24mm equivalent on the wide angle side)
-good edge sharpness on wide angle shots
-tilt screen would be nice, but not required
-don't care about video capabilities
-price up to about $1000

Some of the cameras I'm considering are:
-Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV
-Canon PowerShot G series

-other suggestions welcome

If you have experience with this equipment, let me know what you think and why you like it....thanks.

dvincent

RE: What Compact Camera For Fence Shots?

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

You might be able to sneak through the fence with a DSLR or mirrorless body if you manage to find a compact enough lens. Anything with a filter diameter less than 49mm has a good chance of peeking through. I still keep my old Minolta 100-200 and 28-85 around for just such use. I've also used my old Minolta 70-210 f/4 which has a 55mm filter and at over 100mm the fence bits are basically cropped out of the frame even though it does not physically fit through a fence. I don't use these optics often (as they have their flaws) but if I know I have to peek through a fence I'll stick one in the bag just in case.

The RX100 series is good in terms of image quality, but the lens may not have enough reach for you, especially on the Mk 3 and 4, which top out at 70mm. The Mk1 and Mk2 top out at 105mm. It depends on how far away your fence is from the aircraft. The Sony RX10 series is out, as its filter diameter is 62mm.

The Canon G7X is similar to the RX100 in terms of size and will fit through the fence. If you prefer the Canon color treatment/body style then that would be a fine choice. It's basically on equal footing in terms of features with the RX series, but it lacks the nice popup viewfinder than the RX100 series has.

The G3X would be a good candidate as far as reach goes, but I don't know the exact diameter of the extending lens barrel. I would suggest going to a store and measuring it; if it's 50mm or less you should be in business. Its continuous shooting performance in RAW is also disappointing, but it can deliver good IQ similar to the RX Series.

All four of these cameras should produce A.net quality pics and have enough power and features to satisfy power users. I'm still using my RX100 mk1 as a travel camera and it still takes excellent pics three years on.

topgun3
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:15 pm

Good rundown Dan.....since I own Canon DSLR gear, I think I would like to stick with Canon, but I'm open to suggestions since owning a non-Canon compact camera will have no detriment to my gear collection.

Keep the suggestions rolling in....

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:05 pm

Quoting topgun3 (Thread starter):
What Compact Camera For Fence Shots?

I read this as "What Compact Camera For French Shots?"

And was very confused. Just wanted to mention that.

carlos
Screener

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:29 am

I have the Sony RX100M3. It is a great camera, I love it  

topgun3
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:46 pm

Quoting carlos (Reply 4):
I have the Sony RX100M3. It is a great camera, I love it

Thanks Carlos!

dvincent

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:47 pm

Quoting topgun3 (Reply 2):
Good rundown Dan.....since I own Canon DSLR gear, I think I would like to stick with Canon, but I'm open to suggestions since owning a non-Canon compact camera will have no detriment to my gear collection.

If you want a viewfinder, the RX series is the only choice. There is no add-on viewfinder for the G7X.

Another advantage to the RX is that the Wi-fi connection is stupidly easy to use and set up.

One of my Canon using friends didn't like the AWB behavior (even though it includes bias control), but I shoot RAW and use ColorChecker passport to get all my cameras into proper calibration.

The GX7 also has a clicky wheel instead of a smooth wheel. This is better for setting aperture or discrete settings, but far worse if you like using it for zoom or focus control. I prefer using the smooth wheel for those functions and the rear thumb wheel for setting discrete settings.

The G7X also has a touch screen, which the RX does not have.

While the G7X's lens is longer, the long end is softer than the RX100 mk1/2's because the aperture is pushed too far.

My biases are obvious but the G7X does have some advantages, as does the RX. It's better to know those things and make the call for what fits best for you.

len90

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:41 pm

The only Point and Shoot line I personally like right now is the SONY RX. I used to like the Canon S series but after getting my 6D I haven't shot with a point and shoot for real in years.

I believe the RX does RAW and I know it has full manual control. I don't recall a bulb mode on it though.

dvincent

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:59 pm

It does have bulb mode, which you can use either with the Wifi camera control app or with a wired remote.

petertenthije

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:45 am

With your budget you are looking at entry level DSLR. Why not go for one of those? You can't really poke them through a fence, but if you get one with liveview and swiveldisplay (for instance Canon 700D with 18-55 kitlense) you can shoot over the fence looking up at your display. Unless the fences at your local airport are a lot taller then the usual chainlink fence. And even then a small 2-step lader usually suffices.

Kaphias

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:29 am

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 9):

With your budget you are looking at entry level DSLR. Why not go for one of those? You can't really poke them through a fence, but if you get one with liveview and swiveldisplay (for instance Canon 700D with 18-55 kitlense) you can shoot over the fence looking up at your display. Unless the fences at your local airport are a lot taller then the usual chainlink fence. And even then a small 2-step lader usually suffices.

Based on the fact that he has nearly 8,000 photos in the database, I'm pretty sure he is way past "entry-level DSLR" status. As he said, this is purely a camera with a lens small enough to poke through a fence.

Before I decided on an a6000 because of zoom range, I was looking at the RX100, G7 X, and Panasonic LX100. The advantage of the LX100 it it's operational similarities to DSLRs, having all the regular dials and such. I haven't seen it in person so I can't comment on the size of the lens, though it looks larger in photos than the RX100 and G7 X.

As others have said, the RX100 is a great choice. It would be worth comparing the different versions to see if you need the newest one... buying one or two versions back could save hundreds of dollars.

topgun3
Topic Author

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Lot of good points guys.....I have expanded my choices to some ILC cameras, like Sony A5000.

dvincent

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:09 pm

I would suggest looking at the A6000, there's a lot of good deals on it at the moment. Also, the E-mount kit lenses have 49mm threads (The 18-55, 16-50 PZ, and 55-210) which can fit through fences.

mjgbtv

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:22 pm

I often shoot through fences with Panasonic G series ILC's.