Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Singapore Airlines Business: PEN-SIN-FRA (Part 1)

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:25 pm

Singapore Airlines Business Class: Penang International (PEN) to Frankfurt am Main (FRA) via Singapore Changi Airport (SIN)
Part I

Sometimes one has to travel for all the wrong reasons: to attend a funeral of a close relative for instance. This kind of journey is, before it has even begun, surely condemned to be full of grief and despair, because how can one be expected to find joy in such dark times. Unfortunately, I found myself in such a situation not too long ago. Thank god my journey was on Singapore Airlines.

Introduction

Booking last minute tickets, especially with a legacy carrier and in Business Class, is something that is never recommended. However, sometimes one has little choice and the need to fly overwhelms the steep price of the ticket. As they say, when you gotta go, you gotta go. There are many ways to travel from South East Asia to Europe. There is Malaysia Airlines, who offer great service and relatively cheap ticket prices, and Lufthansa who are notorious for their German efficiency. Thai International Airlines and Singapore Airlines are the other two airlines who fly directly to Frankfurt am Main (FRA) from their respective hubs in Bangkok and Singapore.

However, one could also use one of the Middle Eastern carriers, such as Emirates, Qatar Airways or Etihad. These offer even cheaper ticket prices, but one has to change aircraft along the way. When time is of the essence and a little comfort is needed along the way, the choice boils down to Singapore and Malaysia Airlines. Personally, the choice between these two superb airlines was decided by the fact that Singapore Airlines is a member of Star Alliance. Period.

So let the flying begin: two flights, three airports and a travel time of more than 20 hours in total. This trip report tells the story of my flights from Penang to Frankfurt.

General Flight Overview

Airline: Singapore Airlines (SQ)
Flight number: SQ 195
Origin: Penang International Airport (PEN)
Destination: Singapore Changi Airport (SIN)
Distance: 373 miles
Scheduled departure time: 17:30
Scheduled flight time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Class of Travel: Business Class
Seat: 12A
Aircraft: 777-312

Departure Airport

Penang International Airport has two busy departure banks everyday; one in the morning with flights to Hong Kong and Bangkok and one in the early evening when many passengers fly to KUL and SIN to connect to international connections. Therefore, the terminal was relatively empty when I arrived at 15:30, two hours before scheduled departure. Nonetheless, there was quite a queue at the baggage security check.

The seemingly empty terminal at PEN when I arrived.

The relatively long queue at the security check, for Penang standards.

The reasons for the lengthy lines at the baggage screen soon became clear: passengers were taking more than four times the allowed amount of luggage with them. I really do not know if these people are first time fliers or if they just do not understand. Even the short queue lasted more than 10 minutes.  mad 

Mmmm... One person... Four pieces of luggage...

This package could fit through. Just.

After I finally managed to clear the slow moving queues, the Singapore Airlines check-in area was right in front of me. As usual, the Air Asia side of the departures hall was crowded and noisy, but the counters of the full service carriers were almost empty. Then again, Air Asia has one counter per flight in PEN, but Singapore Airlines had three for Economy Class, one for Internet check-in and two for Business Class. That was six compared to one. As I arrived, both Business Class counters were empty, so the choice of where to go was all mine.

The Singapore Airlines check-in counters in PEN.

The Singapore Airlines Business Class counters in PEN.

As I stepped towards the counters, the male Singapore Airlines agent at the left counter welcomed me to Singapore Airlines and wished me a good afternoon. Therefore, I went to counter 11. As I placed my e-ticket on the counter, the agent recognized me from a previous flight and welcomed me back once again. He then asked if I was also going to Frankfurt this time. I was seriously impressed. Not only had the he remember me, but also my previous destination.

It did not take long for my luggage to be tagged all the way to Frankfurt and for my boarding passes to be printed. As there were no new passengers checking in, I chatted with the agent a little longer about the Singapore Airlines operations in Penang. He was very well informed, polite and welcoming. At the end, he wished me a pleasant flight and mentioned that he looked forward to seeing me again soon. After this very encouraging start to my journey, I proceeded towards immigration.

The small shopping area linking the departures hall and immigration at PEN.

There were no lines at immigration and security and I was airside more than one and a half hours before departure. Except for a few shops and one or two rather poor cafes, there is not much to do airside at PEN.

The security screening area at PEN.

The combined domestic and international departures area in PEN.

A Malaysia Airlines 737-400 pushing back for KUL.

In terms of exciting and exotic aircraft, Penang has very little to offer. Therefore, after walking the length of the terminal, I decided to head for the Silver Kris lounge on the upper level of the airport. While Penang receives three Singapore Airlines flight each day, the number of premium passengers on each flight is relatively small. Therefore, the Silver Kris Lounge is quite small when compared to other Singapore Airlines destinations such as Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. Nonetheless, it has recently been renovated and the food offerings are usually not bad either.

The small corridor to the airlines lounges at PEN.

The entrance to the Singapore Airlines Sliver Kris Lounge at PEN.

There were only a few passengers in the Silver Kris lounge when I arrived at 16:20. I sat down at a table next to one of the wooden dividers. The lounge chairs were very comfortable, but the tables were a little too high in contrast to the chairs. The large television screens, which were mounted on the walls, were also easily visible from all seats. The only downside of the lounge was the lack of natural light.

In my opinion, the overall ambience in the lounge was as it should be: peaceful and relaxing.

The comfortable seats and wooden dividers in the Silver Kris lounge.

The view towards the entrance of the Silver Kris Lounge at PEN.

The food and beverage section was also notable for a lounge this size. Both warm and cold dishes were on offer and these included sandwiches, saffron rice and curry chicken. The taste of the warm dishes was not bad at all. In terms of the beverages, there was some hard liquor, beer and a large variety of soft drinks.

The food and Beverage section of the Silver Kris Lounge.

The warm and cold food selection in PEN.

The beverage fridge containing soft drinks and Tiger Beer.  Smile

As SQ195%u2019s departure time drew closer, more and more passengers began to fill the small Silver Kris Lounge. Nonetheless, there was always enough seating for everyone and the food section was refilled regularly. The Singapore Airlines staff in the lounge was also friendly and proactive. Time passed quickly as I watched the news and enjoyed the food.

My two seats and table in the Silver Kris lounge.

One of my plates of food while waiting for SQ195 to begin boarding.

I left the Silver Kris lounge at 16:50, 10 minutes before boarding, and proceeded down to the main gate area. Sure enough, the Singapore Airlines aircraft was already waiting for me at Gate 8. However, when I saw the aircraft I thought it seemed rather large for normal SQ Penang standards. More often than not, Singapore Airlines uses Boeing 777-200/200ERs to fly to Penang, but this 777 just seemed larger than usual.

The first view of my Singapore Airlines aircraft from PEN to SIN.

Sadly, I had little time to ponder over what aircraft this actually was, as boarding had already begun. I find that Singapore Airlines always goes a long way to ensure that their premium passengers have priority boarding; today was no different. There were clearly marked lanes for Business Class, Star Alliance Gold and Economy Class.

My gate for SQ195 to Singapore today: Gate 8.

The clearly marked priority lanes for SQ195.

By the time I had arrived for boarding, Economy cabin had already been called for boarding. Nevertheless, the friendly Singapore Airlines agent made everyone else wait while she checked my boarding pass.  Smile I was impressed once again. After a brisk walk down the jetway, I was onboard SQ195 at 17:05, 25 minutes before scheduled departure.

Aircraft

Singapore Airlines has the largest fleet of 777s in the world at 76 aircraft. This includes 46 777-200/200ERs and 30 777-300/300ERs. Singapore Airlines uses the 777 on every possible route imaginable, from the extremely short hop to KUL to long transpacific flights. Usually, 777-200/200ERs are used on the short Penang - Singapore route, but today was different. As I had already noticed before boarding, SQ195 seemed slightly larger today. Sure enough, there was a last minute equipment change to a 777-300, which could hold 332 passengers in a three class configuration.

My aircraft today, 9V-SYI, looked as if it had just been delivered yesterday. The cabin was impeccably clean and very well maintained. The First Class section of the aircraft was closed on this flight, which was a pity because I wish they had just pushed everyone forward.  Smile Nonetheless, the older Business Class seats in the 2-3-2 configuration on this 777-300 were more than sufficient for the short flight. In fact, it was a little overkill. The legroom was also very generous and the cabin felt very spacious and comfortable.

9V-SYI:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Serge Bailleul - AirTeamImages

This 777-312 had its maiden flight in July 2004. The aircraft is owned by Singapore Airlines and the first flight in Singapore Airlines colors was in August 2004.

A frontal view of 9V-SYI parked at Gate 8 in Penang.

A side view of this very long 777-300.

Flight

My boarding pass for SQ195 from PEN to SIN.

At the door, I was welcomed by the in-flight supervisor and one of the Singapore girls. The in-flight supervisor took my boarding pass, addressed me by my last name and accompanied me to my seat. He then took a few moments to introduce himself and ask about my journey; a very nice touch. At my seat, a large pillow, a blanket and the menu were already waiting for me.

The in-flight supervisor was welcoming, friendly and talkative. He was also impressed by my knowledge of aviation and apologized for the equipment change. Personally, I had never been on a Singapore Airlines 777-300 before, so I did not mind at all.  Smile

The Business Class cabin of this 777-300 during boarding.

My seat on SQ195: 12A.

The in-flight supervisor had also noticed that I was taking some pictures, so he told me I could roam around the aircraft and take pictures if I wanted to.  Smile I took him up on his little offer and decided to take a look at the unused First Class on this 777-300. The frontal cabin featured the old regional First Class seats and they were only marginally better than the Business Class seats. Nonetheless, it is always nice to have an undisturbed look around.

The old regional First Class seats on 9V-SYI.

The empty First Class as the last passengers boarded SQ195.

As I was looking around and taking a few pictures, one of the Singapore girls walked all the way into the First Class cabin to offer me a pre-departure drink. I thanked her for coming to find me and took a glass of Champaign.

The flight attendants on SQ195 were a breath of fresh air and even before I had taken my seat, the crew had already blown me away. They were just superb.

The first two rows of the Business Class cabin.

My glass of Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve.

When I returned to my seat, a Singapore girl offered me a choice of magazines. I asked for Top Gear, and the stewardess promptly went to get a copy for me. By 17:20, 10 minutes before scheduled departure, boarding had been completed and SQ195 was pushed back from Gate 8.

My copy of Top Gear. I barely had enough time to read it.

The tarmac repairs at Gates 5 & 6 when SQ195 was pushed back for SIN.

The safety video was then shown as SQ195 taxied towards runway 22 for takeoff. Sadly, the weather was not playing along and dark clouds had moved in from the South. Sure enough, memories of my turbulent flight on Emirates a few weeks before filled my mind.

The dark sky moving in from the Southern end of the airport.

One of the Rolls Royce Trent 892 engines on this 777-300.

An Air Asia 737-300 taxiing to the Gate after arriving from Medan (MES).

SQ195 taxied towards the active runway in a very slow manner, because there was not enough time to finish the safety video. Once the aircraft was ready for takeoff, we had to wait for a Firefly Fokker 50 on final before clearance was given.

The Firefly Fokker 50 landing on runway 22.

The location of SQ195 while we waited for takeoff clearance.

The information screen as we taxied onto the active runway. Today’s flight was only 55 minutes.

At 17:30, the scheduled departure time, the Rolls Royce Trent 892 engines fired up to full thrust and SQ195 began to roll down the runway. It always amazes me how quiet the 777s are during takeoff compared to the 737s and 747s. The difference is vast. After a short yet powerful roll, 9V-SYI lifted off from Penang International Airport. The load on this flight was light: 0% in First (obviously), 35% in Business and 65% in Economy Class.

The view down runway 22 before takeoff.

A beautiful view of the Georgetown, the main city on Penang Island.

The 13.5km Penang Bridge connecting the island to the mainland.

The initial climb was very rough as SQ195 flew through thick, dark clouds. Nevertheless, there were some beautiful views of Penang, the mainland and the bridge connecting the two. The passenger sitting diagonally in front of me did not care for any of this; as soon as we cleared the runway, he reclined his seat.  Smile

The poor weather during the climb out of Penang International Airport.

The passenger diagonally in front of me did not care much for the seatbelt sign.

A peek through the clouds revealed the Malaysian peninsular below.

As soon as the seatbelt sign was switched off, the cabin service began. At first, hot towels were distributed by one of the Singapore girls as the smell of good food filled the cabin. In the meantime, I made myself comfortable in my seat. Compared to the regional Business Class seats of many European and American carriers, my seat was simply in another league. The 55 minutes flight was just too short to make use of all the features and free space.

The Cameron Highlands between Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur.

The food and beverage service began about 15 minutes into the flight, and every dinner tray was delivered from the galley by hand. Personally, I dislike when food is served on trays in Business Class, but I guess this is excusable on a 55 minutes flight with a full meal service.

The menu on SQ195 from PEN to SIN.

Once each passenger had received their tray, the in-flight supervisor came to ask everyone what main course they would like. He must have remembered all the choices by heart, because he did not write anything down. When it was my turn to order, I asked him what he would recommend. He replied that both dishes were nice, but he would give me the fish first. Note the word first, because at the time, I did not know what it really meant.

Sure enough, one or two minutes later one of the Singapore girls brought the Wok friend fillet of fish to my seat.

My dinner tray on SQ195 with the Wok fried fillet of fish.

The taste of the food was a pleasant surprise. I am not a big fan of airline food, but this meal did not disappoint. The appetizer tasted fresh and the dressing complimented the vegetables very well. The fish was especially appetizing, with the taste of flavorsome ginger dominating the dish. Very impressive for such a short flight.

The Wok fried fillet of fish with the appetizer and dessert in the background.

White and red wine was then served by one of the Singapore girls. I decided to take white wine with my fish. By now, just 30 minutes remained until our expected arrival in Singapore, so there was not much time left to eat.

My glass of white wine on SQ195.

The cruise altitude of SQ195 today: 35000 feet.

As I was finishing my main course of fish, the in-flight supervisor came to ask if I liked the dish.

“I hope you enjoyed the fish Mr. Globetraveller.”
“I certainly did. Thank you for the good recommendation.”
“Thank you Mr. Globetraveller. Now let me bring you the chicken as well. If you liked the fish, I am sure you will also like the chicken.”

I was at a loss for words, but before I could even contemplate whether my full stomach could take anymore food, the Pan roasted chicken breast arrived at my seat.  Smile Such is life.

The Pan roasted chicken breast sitting on the armrest while I finished the last piece of fish.

A quick substitution. Fish out, chicken in.

Just as the in-flight supervisor had promised, the pan roasted chicken was also very tasty. The mushroom sauce was surprisingly light and the olive potatoes were quite addictive. Sadly, my stomach was bursting at the seams and I could not finish my food. I usually do, but this was just too much.

The pan roasted chicken on my dinner tray.

My glass of Coke Light to help wash down all the food.

I was still struggling with my food as the speedbrakes were deployed and SQ195 started to descend into Singapore. Nonetheless, the crew was not worried and told me to take my time. In fact, even though the flight was so short, the flight attendants never seemed to be in a hurry or rushed. This is, in my opinion, another trait of a very professional crew.

The seat in front of me, 11A, was empty on this flight.  Smile

The descent through the clouds with speedbrakes deployed.

With 15 minutes to go until landing, my dinner tray was collected as I could eat no more. The captain then made an announcement about the weather in Singapore and our arrival. As the seatbelt sign was turned on again, I felt like I had barely settled into the flight. I wish it could have been one or two hours longer.

The seat controls on this 777-300. I never had the chance to make good use of them.

The average IFE screen in Business Class. The KrisWorld entertainment system was never fully turned on.

Once SQ195 had descended below the clouds, the southernmost tip of the Malaysian peninsular came into view. The speedbrakes were deployed once again, as the aircraft performed a series of sharp turns to line up with runway 20C.

The gloomy weather over the south of the Malaysian peninsular.

The speedbrakes were deployed again as SQ195 cleared the clouds.

One of the many rivers windings its way through Malaysia.

The unsettled weather made for a very turbulent descent into Changi Airport and after several minutes of bouncing around, SQ195 landed on runway 20C at 18:23, 17 minutes before scheduled arrival. This early touchdown was a notable achievement for such a short flight.

Reclaimed land during the approach towards runway 20C.

The beginning of the airport perimeter as SQ195 was about to touchdown.

Exiting runway 20C after touchdown in SIN.

Next to the low cost carrier terminal at the end of the runway, 9V-SKE welcomed me to Singapore. At the time of my flight, this A380 was brand new. It had just arrived from Toulouse and was about to have its first revenue flight. A nice welcome to SIN.  Smile

The low cost carrier terminal with two Tiger Airways A320s.

9V-SKE: The newest A380 in the Singapore Airlines fleet.

The airport was filled with Singapore Airlines 777s; it was Singapore Airlines territory. Funnily enough, at an airport full of impressive widebodies, Malaysia Airlines was represented by a little 737-400. Typical.

Changi Airport is Singapore Airlines territory.

This Malaysia Airlines 737-400 was dwarfed by almost every aircraft around it.

Soon, SQ195 pulled into the gate at SIN next to another 777-200ER. With the load being so light, there was no rush to leave the aircraft and everyone just slowly stood up and collected their hand luggage. I was the first person to leave the aircraft, 10 minutes before scheduled arrival.

Two JL, one CX and one SQ aircraft parked where Terminal 1 and 2 meet.

Our neighbor at the gate: 9V-SVN.

Arrival Airport

Singapore Changi Airport is one of my all time favorite airports. There is always so much to see and do, and it is the only airport where I do not mind spending five hours in transit. Just for starters, there is free wireless internet everywhere. Lufthansa should take note of this, because they even charge for internet in their Business Class lounges in Frankfurt.

Although Changi handles in excess of 35 million passengers every year, the airport never feels crowded. I also like the flowers and plants as well as the fact that the floor is carpet. Overall, SIN is just a very nice place to be.

I could not agree more.

One of the numerous green areas at SIN.

I now had a little more than five hours until my connecting flight to Frankfurt, so I decided to begin by having a look at the old Singapore Airlines Silver Kris lounge in Terminal 2. Since the opening of Terminal 3, the older Terminal 2 seemed much quieter, almost too quiet. Many of the gates were empty and the wide walkways were deserted.

The rather empty walkways in the old Terminal 2 at SIN.

After having a peek around some of the numerous shops on the main level, I took the escalators up to the lounge area. At the entrance to the Silver Kris lounge, a female Singapore Airlines agent welcomed me and kindly reminded me that my flight would leave from Terminal 3. I was a little worried that Singapore Airlines would neglect their old lounge with the completion of Terminal 3, but my fears would soon washed away.

The entrance to the Silver Kris lounge in Terminal 2.

The first sight of the Business Class section of the old Silver Kris lounge.

As I entered the lounge, I noticed that it was very empty; there were almost no people to be seen. Even so, the lounge was still in excellent shape. The bar was well stocked with all the beverages one could ever want and the food consisted of several hot and cold dishes. In fact, this lounge is probably still better than most other Business Class airline lounges and the only thing it is missing, is some natural light.

The empty bar at the old Silver Kris lounge.

One of the two small food sections in the old SQ lounge at SIN.

As I was still completely stuffed from all the food on SQ195, I could not eat anything in the lounge. However, the hot and cold food selection looked pretty good and everything was filled up regularly.

The food section with the large beverage coolers on the right.

The nice hot and cold food section in the Silver Kris lounge.

The old Silver Kris lounge also has all the amenities one could wish for. There were nice and new showers, large flight information screens, free wireless internet and an excellent business area. In addition, there have also been some recent upgrades consisting of impressive new iMacs and NEC computers.

The array of new iMacs in the Business area.

And for those who do not like Apple, there are new NEC lifestyle PCs too.

I was pleasantly surprised by the new upgrades and there were probably as many people in the entire lounge as the number of new computers. I grabbed myself a Diet Coke and caught up with the latest gossip on Airlines.net.

One of the iMacs with the empty expanse of the lounge in the background.

Airliners.net on one of the massive iMac screens in the Silver Kris lounge.

After relaxing in the lounge and snooping around the internet for about an hour, I decided to take a little walk around the vast terminal buildings at SIN. I started off at Terminal 2 and walked through the older Terminal 1 to the brand new Terminal 3.

The seemingly never ending terminal building at SIN.

Today’s departures in Terminals 1, 2 and 3.

While it was obvious that Terminal 1 is the oldest building at SIN, it was still very well maintained. In fact, it looked far better than many terminal buildings at other airports such as FRA, BKK and JFK. The entire airport is very clean and open, with high ceilings and numerous windows. It was just a pleasure to walk through.

The transition between Terminals 1 and 2.

One of the two main transfer areas in the old Terminal 1 at SIN.

As I arrived in Terminal 3, I had a little more than two hours until by connecting Singapore Airlines flight to Frankfurt. However, my experience in Terminal 3 and the onwards flight on SQ26 will be featured in the second part of this trip report.

One of the many entertainment areas in Terminal 1.

Overall Impression

On SQ195, Singapore Airlines showed why they are considered to be one of the best airlines in the world. The seats were crazy when considering that this was only a one hour hop and the crew was exemplary. They were extremely friendly and welcoming, while not being robotic or fake. The service on this short flight easily surpassed the service I received on far longer flights with other airlines. The food and beverage was also noteworthy. Based on this flight and many similar flights I have been on, I would unconditionally recommend flying with Singapore Airlines between Penang and Singapore. While I usually hate the cliché marketing one-liners used by companies, I can honestly say I agree that Singapore Airlines is a great way to fly. It is no wonder they were recently voted the world’s best airline by Skytrax.

(2.0) Booking & Reservation: 9.0
(1.0) Check-in: 9.5
(1.0) Airline Airport Facilities: 8.0
(0.5) Boarding: 9.0
(2.0) Seat: 9.5
(1.0) Entertainment System: 7.0
(2.0) Crew: 9.5
(2.0) Food and Beverages: 9.5
(0.5) Amenity kits and other freebies: N/A
(0.5) Arrival: 9.0
(1.0) On-time performance: 10.0

Overall weighted score: 9.12

I hope you have enjoyed reading the first part of this report. The second part should be ready very soon and I will also post the return flights in the coming weeks. As always, any comments and opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Best regards,
Globetraveller

Ryanair!!!

RE: Singapore Airlines Business: PEN-SIN-FRA (Part 1)

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:12 am

What a detailed report for such a short flight! I thought only I was capable of such a feat! Hahahahaha...

Quoting Globetraveller (Thread starter):
Singapore Airlines has the largest fleet of 777s in the world at 76 aircraft. This includes 46 777-200/200ERs and 30 777-300/300ERs. Singapore Airlines uses the 777 on every possible route imaginable,

Err... Not like they have a choice!  Smile It is a good thing that the A330s will be coming online next year. I think it is long overdue for them to have the A330s in their fleet inventory, even though it is only an interim.

The First Class section of the aircraft was closed on this flight, which was a pity because I wish they had just pushed everyone forward.

Strange. Unless they have too many premium passengers and all could not fit into the PCL cabin? But this isn't unusual for them to deploy the 777-300 on the SIN-PEN route as the evening flights especially the LAST flight of the day normally utilises this aircraft type. But blocking off the PCL cabin is something new to me or perhaps I just wasn't aware of this practice. Previously when I was in C-Class (as business class is coded on SIN-PEN), PCL cabin was used and the JCL cabin were all the frequent flyers flying on economy tickets (your Gold flyers and what nots) and followed by YCL.

My glass of Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve.

Hmm, I see that the new service items have yet to be loaded on ALL the flights. This is the old champagne glass with the Raffles palm still on it.

The taste of the food was a pleasant surprise. I am not a big fan of airline food, but this meal did not disappoint. The appetizer tasted fresh and the dressing complimented the vegetables very well. The fish was especially appetizing, with the taste of flavorsome ginger dominating the dish. Very impressive for such a short flight.

Oh you have no idea! This meal was loaded in Singapore and SATS kitchen makes some of the BEST Asian dishes you can ever find. It was very nice of the IFS to offer you a 2nd helping but I know, SQ FEEDS you well. And normally after the main meal, I am very stuffed so I don't know how the hell could you stomach a 2nd one.

The airport was filled with Singapore Airlines 777s; it was Singapore Airlines territory. Funnily enough, at an airport full of impressive widebodies, Malaysia Airlines was represented by a little 737-400. Typical.

Previously when the shuttle service was still around, people (if not pressed for time) would prefer to wait for the SQ flight as they operated alternately by the hour between SIN and KUL. I was one of those... Hehehehehe... Unless I was specifically flying MH and I had a connecting flight to catch in KUL, then I would have no choice BUT to fly on the dingy little MH 737-400 but then again, I would normally be in Golden Club Class so I have not much complaints there.

It has been 4 years since I last stepped on board Golden Club Class or any MH plane for that matter. Looking at how they have gone down the drain, not that I am in any hurry to!

With regards to the SK Lounge, I have not had the privi to go to the one in T3 yet. But I do not like the one in T2 one bit. I think it is far too dark! From the comments I have read so far, the one in T3 is miles better but everyone is in unison thinking that SQ could have used this opportunity to blow the competition off the horizon with this new lounge, but they didn't.

You have my deepest condolences for the reason of your travel as I too had the horror of such a reason last year in April when I had to travel to Jakarta on a day's notice to attend a funeral. It is not a good feeling but like you say - when you gotta go, you gotta go!
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Lufthansa

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:27 am

Isn't it nice when everything just fits into place like this experience?

Compare this with the recent jetblue incident with the FA's demanding the pax destroy her videotape, and then even handcupping her! It seems in some parts of the world FA's need a serious attitude change... and in other parts they still "get it"... and SQ is definately in the latter.

As much as people here like to call SQ fa's "Robotic" I don't find this to be the case at all. I think they're geuine... and to be frank I think many of the critisims of them are Racist.

You know sometimes when I buy a ticket on other airlines, I feel guilty for not using SQ... like i know if i had just given SQ my money i'd be having a better time!

Great trip report. Well done!

nicholaschee

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:30 am

Great detailed TR for such a short hop and the circumstances. You have my condolences for your reason of travel.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 1):
Singapore Airlines has the largest fleet of 777s in the world at 76 aircraft. This includes 46 777-200/200ERs and 30 777-300/300ERs. Singapore Airlines uses the 777 on every possible route imaginable,

Err... Not like they have a choice! Smile It is a good thing that the A330s will be coming online next year. I think it is long overdue for them to have the A330s in their fleet inventory, even though it is only an interim.

They nearly ordered the A330 in 1995 but the B777 deal was sweeter.

With regards to the SK Lounge, I have not had the privi to go to the one in T3 yet. But I do not like the one in T2 one bit. I think it is far too dark! From the comments I have read so far, the one in T3 is miles better but everyone is in unison thinking that SQ could have used this opportunity to blow the competition off the horizon with this new lounge, but they didn't.

Having used both the T2 & T3 SKL J lounges recently, the T3 SKL is definitely miles ahead in terms of décor and ambience. I find the T2 SKL very tired and heavy. Nonetheless, SQ still maintains a high standard in its T2 SKL. Its as well stocked in the amenities, F&B, workstations as the T3 SKL. The only gripe I have about the T3 SKL is that it's just too busy!

While it was obvious that Terminal 1 is the oldest building at SIN, it was still very well maintained. In fact, it looked far better than many terminal buildings at other airports such as FRA, BKK and JFK. The entire airport is very clean and open, with high ceilings and numerous windows. It was just a pleasure to walk through.

Terminal 1 is in the midst of having a major facelift now with expected completion in 2011. Seems like constant rejuvenation is a key to having top notch airport!

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 2):
As much as people here like to call SQ fa's "Robotic" I don't find this to be the case at all. I think they're geuine... and to be frank I think many of the critisims of them are Racist.

I wonder how many people here have actually experienced SQ's service to come to a conclusion of the cabin crew being robotic.  Wink

You know sometimes when I buy a ticket on other airlines, I feel guilty for not using SQ... like i know if i had just given SQ my money i'd be having a better time!

I get the same guilty feeling too!

[Edited 2008-08-14 18:35:03]

Norcal773

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:17 am

Great TR and my condolences.

He then asked if I was also going to Frankfurt this time. I was seriously impressed. Not only had the he remember me, but also my previous destination.

That is impressive. There's a check-in agent in MNL who even knows my name because he has checked me in almost 10 times now  Smile

The SK lounge in T2 is a disappointment if you ask me consideering SQ are ahead of everbody else in everything else. It serves it's purpose but I think their lounge at ICN is better although there is word it was closed recently. The T3 lounge is ok but it has no natural lighting (if I remember correctly) either and I agree, they could hae blown everybody out of the water with it but they didn't.

Quoting Nicholaschee (Reply 3):
I wonder how many people here have actually experienced SQ's service to come to a conclusion of the cabin crew being robotic.

I hate reading that SQ or F/A on Asian carriers are robotic coz I don't think it's true. I've flown almost all the Asian carriers to N. America and I've never found that to be the case.

I get the same guilty feeling too!

That's why my new motto is I am lying SQ across the Pacific all the time, never mind the price difference which in most cases it's not a lot.
If you're going through hell, keep going

Ryanair!!!

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:38 am

I wonder how many people here have actually experienced SQ's service to come to a conclusion of the cabin crew being robotic.

Well... To say whether SQ's FAs are robotic in nature or not - YES and NO. The junior ones are VERY robotic and tend to follow everything by the book to the tee, very much a mirror of the Singapore education system. The seniors are the ones who are more at ease and less jumpy. The latter group would be the ones with witty retorts of the laser-zapping variety.

Here is my experience from a "ROBOTIC" SQ femme-bot...

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/95479
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

anonms

Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:14 am

My condolences for your reasons for travel. D:

But, wow, what a long TR for such a short hop.

Thai International Airlines and Singapore Airlines are the other two airlines who fly directly to Frankfurt am Main (FRA) from their respective hubs in Bangkok and Singapore.

CI flies FRA-TPE, too. ;D Just sayin'
This is my signature.

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:37 am

I thought only I was capable of such a feat! Hahahahaha...

Hahahaha... Where there's a will, there's a way  Smile I like to read detailed reports and I imagine that most A.netters feel the same way. Therefore, I write detailed ones too.

It is a good thing that the A330s will be coming online next year.

I agree. I talked to some SQ pilots on a recent flight and they said that Singapore Airlines has too many pilots right now. However, he mentioned that this will change when all the new A330s and some more A380s come.

Unless they have too many premium passengers and all could not fit into the PCL cabin?

There were definately less than 18 premium passengers on this flight, so they could have used the First Class cabin. The inflight supervisor said that they could not do so, because the crew was not prepared for the equipment change.

This is the old champagne glass with the Raffles palm still on it.

That is true, but I actually like the old Raffles palm. It is a pity that it is being phased out.

I am very stuffed so I don't know how the hell could you stomach a 2nd one.

Hehehe... Neither do I. However, I can assure you that my waistline did not appreciate my indulgence...  Smile The food was very good though.

people (if not pressed for time) would prefer to wait for the SQ flight as they operated alternately by the hour between SIN and KUL.

I am not surprised. I would chose an SQ 777 over a little MH 737 any day. They are just in a different league.

You have my deepest condolences for the reason of your travel

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the trip report.

I am not sure if these criticisms are racist, but they certainly highlight that some people are jealous about the way SQ passengers are treated. Its not the crew's fault that they are genuinely nice people and I agree that they are not robotic.

Hehehehe... I also agree with you here. I recently had this feeling while I was on an Emirates flight. I guess there is just nothing like Singapore Airlines.

Great trip report. Well done!

Thank you. I am happy you liked it.

The only gripe I have about the T3 SKL is that it's just too busy!

Really? It was relatively empty when I was there. Maybe I was just lucky to be there at the right time.

Terminal 1 is in the midst of having a major facelift now with expected completion in 2011.

Yeah, I read about this while I was at SIN. I am glad that they are doing this, because it is such a nice Terminal building.

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 4):
Great TR and my condolences.

Thank you for your kind words.

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 4):
That is impressive. There's a check-in agent in MNL who even knows my name because he has checked me in almost 10 times now

I know, I was surprised too. I guess it is because I fly out of PEN with SQ quite often. Nonetheless, it is always nice to receive a little bit of personalised service.

Quoting Anonms (Reply 6):
My condolences for your reasons for travel. D:

Thank you for your kind words.

Quoting Anonms (Reply 6):
But, wow, what a long TR for such a short hop.

Hehehehe... I like to include as much detail as I possible can.

Globetraveller

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:11 pm

A fantastic and detailed trip report GlobeTraveller ! It was enjoyable to read over lunch.

I'm looking forward to the next part of your trip report.

Kudos und Einfach Klasse !
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

CXtra

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Wonderful report, Globetraveller! Perfectly set out, excellent text and pictures. One of the best I've seen.

I must admit SQ's product is highly impressive and the fact that they can gain a traveller's loyalty and respect on such a short sector is admirable!

Once again, thanks again for taking time to put this masterpiece together.
Cathay Pacific, Now you're really flying

ronerone

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi Globetraveller,

My condolences on your loss. I am so sorry to hear that!

This, and your previous EK series reports, are top quality! Very detailed, fine writing style, and incredible pictures! absolutely fantastic!

Apart from your report making me feel like i was the one traveling, now i sort of want to fly SQ myself (and it is quite rare when i am inclined to say such a thing by the way  Smile )

As usual, the Air Asia side of the departures hall was crowded and noisy, but the counters of the full service carriers were almost empty.

The unfortunate effects that this LCC-disease has on our mainline carriers!

The First Class section of the aircraft was closed on this flight, which was a pity because I wish they had just pushed everyone forward.

This is indeed strange. I wonder why, as i would have thought that F class, if not sold as F, would have been for full-fare J passenegrs for example.

A beautiful view of the Georgetown, the main city on Penang Island.

A breathtaking view i must say! My favorite picture in this report  Smile

Personally, I dislike when food is served on trays in Business Class, but I guess this is excusable on a 55 minutes flight with a full meal service.

I second that. While it still is the norm to serve Business Class meals on personal trays, i have always thought that it 'cheapened' the service a little. However, given that you were on a flight of up to an hour long, the tray service will suffice  Smile

My first tray-less experience in J class was on my last EK A380 trip, which as you know i found to be exciting. My next one i hope will be on my next Etihad flight next week. Let's see how it turns out  Smile

Thanks a lot for sharing this first installment of what will be yet another great series of reports! Looking forward to your next!

Regards,
Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 8):
A fantastic and detailed trip report GlobeTraveller ! It was enjoyable to read over lunch.

I am glad you enjoyed it Singapore_Air.

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 8):
I'm looking forward to the next part of your trip report.

I think the next part will be ready within the next three days.

Quoting CXtra (Reply 9):
One of the best I've seen.

Wow... Really??! There are a lot of great trip reports on Airlines.net, so thank you very much for this compliment.

Quoting CXtra (Reply 9):
I must admit SQ's product is highly impressive and the fact that they can gain a traveller's loyalty and respect on such a short sector is admirable!

I agree completely. The service on this short hop is on the same level as the long haul flights, which is quite an achievement in my opinion.

Quoting Ronerone (Reply 10):
My condolences on your loss.

Thank you for your kind words Roni.

now i sort of want to fly SQ myself

Hehehe... You should try it. Everytime I fly another carrier I am just amazed when I fly Singapore Airlines again. The service I received was superb on all flights, so there is nothing patchy about the SQ product!

This is indeed strange. I wonder why, as i would have thought that F class, if not sold as F, would have been for full-fare J passenegrs for example.

I agree, but I guess the crew were just not ready to make use of the First class cabin. I think they were just as surprised by the equipment change as I was.

A breathtaking view i must say! My favorite picture in this report

I also agree with you here. That is my favorite picture too. However, there are one or two even better ones of my approach to Frankfurt in the next part of the report. Look out for them when I post it.

My next one i hope will be on my next Etihad flight next week.

I have yet to give Etihad a try, but I have heard a lot of positive feedback about them lately. I trust you will enjoy your flight. Don't forget to write a trip report!  Smile

Globetraveller

Qantasistheway

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:20 pm

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. The feeling is always pain full and heartbreaking, and I personally know what it is like travelling such a long way to attend a funeral. My family and I had to fly from Hamburg to Australia after finding out in the morning that my grandfather had passes, and it isn't easy being on a plane the same night especially when its such a long way, but Business Class does make it somewhat easier.

Secondly, you have prduced a great trip report, just like your others which I have been reading for a while now. Sehr gut geschrieben und ich freue mich schon auf dan naechsten Teil! The German is courtesy to my German mother and my three years in Hamburg. Again I'm very sorry and I hope you have a good flight back.

The in-flight supervisor had also noticed that I was taking some pictures, so he told me I could roam around the aircraft and take pictures if I wanted to.

This is what distinguishes SQ and others from everybody else. I enjoy flying SQ, but my patriotism sometimes makes me feel guilty for not flying QF, and my FF program has suffered due to that. But you can't say they aren't great.

The Cameron Highlands between Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia is a beautiful country, I'm sure you know!

The imacs in the T2 lounge are certainly an improvement, a hell of a lot better than the cheap Windows PC's used beforehand.

Well done, Viele Gruesse und Gute Reise!!

Cheers,
Qantasistheway

ba319-131

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Great report and photo's, really enjoyed though such a shame the journey was not for happy reasons.

The old regional First Class seats on 9V-SYI.

- These really look dated now.

My dinner tray on SQ195 with the Wok fried fillet of fish.

- Food's look good.

Enjoyed this, seems a shame the flight is so short.

Look forward to the next segment.

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:10 am

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 12):
My family and I had to fly from Hamburg to Australia after finding out in the morning that my grandfather had passes

Wow, that is a long journey. I thought South East Asia to Europe was already pretty bad, but Europe to Australia is far worse.

Sehr gut geschrieben und ich freue mich schon auf dan naechsten Teil!

Vielen dank. Der naechste Teil wird bald fertig sein.

This is what distinguishes SQ and others from everybody else.

I agree. It just seems that the crew is always looking out for you and they are always there when you need them. This is often what many European and American crews are missing.

Malaysia is a beautiful country, I'm sure you know!

Yeah, I have been there for quite a while. It sure is a very nice place to be.

The imacs in the T2 lounge are certainly an improvement, a hell of a lot better than the cheap Windows PC's used beforehand.

This is true. The new computers are finally in line with the high quality of the SQ product as a whole. I also liked that passengers have a choice between Macs and PCs.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 13):
Great report and photo's, really enjoyed

Thank you Mark. I am glad you liked it.

These really look dated now.

They definitely do. The new First Class on the 777-300ER and the Suites on the A380 seem light years away.

Food's look good.

It was very very good. One of the highlights of my flight.

Globetraveller

netdhaka

Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:59 am

Excellent report and pictures. It was a joy to read!

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Quoting Netdhaka (Reply 15):
Excellent report and pictures. It was a joy to read!

Thank you for your kind words Netdhaka. I am glad you enjoyed the first part of this trip report.

Globetraveller

StefanPAD

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:24 pm

It was nice to read your TR. Very detailes and many pics. I love to read those reports. Looking forward to read part 2.

Cheers,
Stefan

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:49 am

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 17):
I love to read those reports

Thank you very much StefanPAD. I am glad you liked them.

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 17):
Looking forward to read part 2.

I am happy to say that Part II is now finished. It can be viewed here.

Globetraveller

bastew

Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks for a great report.

The seats look fantastic for a 55min flight!

Any idea the longest flight on SQ that one might encounter the 'regional' seat? Is it just the SE asian runs?

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting BAStew (Reply 19):
Any idea the longest flight on SQ that one might encounter the 'regional' seat? Is it just the SE asian runs?

Singapore Airlines use the regional Business Class mostly on routes within South East Asia. These mainly include MNL, BKK, CGK and KUL. However, the aircraft are also used on several longer flights such as SIN-DXB and even SIN-ICN. I think for flights lasting more than 4 hours, the SpaceBeds are more adequate. However, it is likely that the new SQ A330-300s arriving at the end of this year could bring new regional seats.

Globetraveller

intothinair

RE: Singapore Airlines Business: PEN-SIN-FRA (Part

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:56 am

Well done, another excellent trip report Globetraveller.

When time is of the essence and a little comfort is needed along the way, the choice boils down to Singapore and Malaysia Airlines.

Do not ignore TG here, they use the same long haul lie flat J class seats as MH(with a few minor changes) and their service is mostly good as well.

he agent recognized me from a previous flight and welcomed me back once again. He then asked if I was also going to Frankfurt this time. I was seriously impressed.

very impressive I must admit, I had the same experience in PEN as well, also with SQ back in the days when I still flew SQ loads

The lounge chairs were very comfortable, but the tables were a little too high in contrast to the chairs.

Aren't we being just a tad too critical here, lol.

This includes 46 777-200/200ERs

Small correction, SQ does not own any B777-200s only 200ERs

Now let me bring you the chicken as well. If you liked the fish, I am sure you will also like the chicken.”

very impressive, good service

Singapore Changi Airport is one of my all time favorite airports. There is always so much to see and do, and it is the only airport where I do not mind spending five hours in transit. Just for starters, there is free wireless internet everywhere.

I totally agree 100% with you here

Lufthansa should take note of this, because they even charge for internet in their Business Class lounges in Frankfurt.

Again, fully agree

One more thing, I am very disapointed in you not mentioning the fact that I took all the effort to drive you to the airport, and you don't even mention it!, hehe, just kidding with you.

Will see you soon for another round of spotting in PEN, take care

kind regards, intothinair

Globetraveller
Topic Author

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:22 am

Quoting Intothinair (Reply 21):
Well done, another excellent trip report Globetraveller.

Thank you Intothinair.

Do not ignore TG here, they use the same long haul lie flat J class seats as MH(with a few minor changes) and their service is mostly good as well.

I agree with you that TG also has good seats and service, but I am not very fond of BKK. They also use some very old Airbus A300s on the PEN-BKK sector and I prefer the SQ 777s.  Smile I am sure you would agree.

Small correction, SQ does not own any B777-200s only 200ERs

This is true, but 31 of the 777-200ERs are derated so they are sort of 777-200s.

One more thing, I am very disapointed in you not mentioning the fact that I took all the effort to drive you to the airport, and you don't even mention it!, hehe, just kidding with you.

Hehehe... My bad. When I wrote the trip report I completely forget. Thanks again for the ride though!

Globetraveller