Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Swiss Business Class+New Senator Lounge Pics/vids

Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:40 pm

Time to go to Spain again. I had originally booked a charter flight from Dublin to Reus with JetX but had noticed that due to issues with the Futura collapse there had been some very long delays. JetX had leased an A/C from Futura which was now impounded.I was getting quite worried as my time was precious and I only had 4 days vacation. So I looked at alternatives and came up with the idea of cashing in 15,000 miles and EUR49 for a oneway from DUB-ZRH-BCN with Swiss. I had been longing to fly LX again so it was not a difficult choice. I also decided at that time to go two days earlier giving me 6 nights there.

DATE : 28/SEP/2008
FLIGHT : LX 401
ROUTE: DUB-ZRH
CLASS : BUSINESS
SEAT : 3A
REG : HB-IJP
A/C : AIRBUS A320-214

I checked in at Dublin airport 2 hours before departure. No ques at the Business class counter and I got my bags through checked and both boarding cards. I then went to get something to eat and then to the fast track line for security. All of this was hassle free.

Time to visit the BMI lounge.

After a while it was time to go to the gate .

I was welcomed by two friendly crew.

Water and refresher towels were handed out.

Boarding was completed and the Sky Handling Rep gave the crew their documents. The crew gave her a handful of Swiss chocolates. Nice thought .

Alot of spotters today :::

Plenty of legroom

Then I smelt some very nice food coming from the galley and I was not dissapointed.

It was really worth the wait and was very nice.

Then for the final touch !

The rest of the flight was smooth and the crew asked me twice if there was anything else I wanted to drink etc.... I was just in paradise enjoying the Swiss product.

I had a few hours to kill so I went through passport control for a look around the Terminal.

After that I went back through departures and headed to the new Senator lounge.

I would love this machine at home

I loved the new lounge and it had plenty of room and snacks and drinks. Lots of internet terminals and nice bathrooms. Soon it was time to go to the gate.

DATE : 28/SEP/2008
FLIGHT : LX 1956
ROUTE: ZRH-BCN
CLASS : BUSINESS
SEAT : 3F
REG : HB-IOF
A/C : AIRBUS A321

Water and refreshing towels were handed out along with Newspapers in German,French and English.

After take off cold meals were served due to the short flying time. Before I realised I was handed a plate of Ham ! I pressed the call button and told the FA that I did not eat Ham and asked if she could russle up something else. She smiled and took the plate away and after a while came back with a really nice sandwich. She handled the situation very well and was very pleasant.

After that Coffee and chocolates.

The rest of the flight I got a little bit of sleep before it was time to land into BCN. I love the approach to this city. Maybe because I know Im close to seeing my friend but I just love it.

NCL cruise ship ! I was on that not so long ago.

My bag was first off and I then went to meet my driver. I had booked a private transfer to take me to Salou. Journey time was around an hour. I met my friend then we went for Dinner. The next days we relaxed and went for nice walks. On the night of Eid ( Muslim holiday ) we met some of his friends and had some really nice Pakistani food. On the Thursday we went to Port Aventura theme park for the day and that was fun. They had a Halloween theme on and the house of horrors was quite scary. They had real life actors dressed up with make up with cuts and scars. They jumped out at you as you walked through in the dark. I preffered the rides to be honest. One night we were woken up by 4 Finnish teenagers who decided they wanted to strip off naked and jump into the swimming pool. They got quite a crowd who were all watching from the balconies. I guess they had drunk too much.

Some photos from my stay ::

So after 6 nights it was time to leave. The weather had been great and I didnt want to leave. I took a taxi to Reus airport for my Ryanair flight to Dublin.

DATE : 04/OCT/2008
FLIGHT : FR 1973
ROUTE: REU-DUB
CLASS : -------------
SEAT : EXIT ROW
REG : EI-CSR
A/C : BOEING 737-800

I was surprised to see that the new terminal is still not open. They use the new part of the building for arrivals and the airside gate area is in the new building but the check in area is still not ready. You have to use the old building for check in then go through a tunnel into the airside part of the new Terminal.

After checking in my bag I went through security which was quick. I was surprised to see a LH A319 on the ground. First of all I thought it was a charter then saw nothing on the boards so maybe a diversion. I watched it take off but after 15 minutes it did a touch and go on the runway and then 6 more times after that over the whole time I was in the terminal. They were doing training.

Then an empty Spanair MD landed to take passengers to Belfast (BFS).

Crew arrived and boarded.

Then it was time to board my flight. Everything was on time and I had priority boarding so was the first out.

I was greeted by a friendly crew and told to sit anywhere I liked. I headed straight to the exit row aisle seat which is my seat of choice on all FR flights. Its very comfortable.

The flight home was 99% full with holiday makers. Lots of families. I slept for most of the way so no photos. We landed on time in a rainy cold Ireland and I took the bus home. That night I felt so cold and missed the sun !!

So thats it folks. The end of another enjoyable trip and more good flights with LX and FR.

I look forward to your comments and questions as usual. If you like the report or want to see something added in future just let me know.

Thanks for reading

OA260

phileet92

RE: Swiss Business Class+New Senator Lounge Pics/vids

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

What is this machine anyway? i'm split between a coffee machine or a liquer dispenser.

Great trip report though, i sure wish i would be able to visit that lounge soon. looks sooo nice!

shamrock350

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:15 pm

Great report Philip!

Really liked all the photos and videos, especially of Swiss flights. Everything seems so professional and classy, the meals look fantastic.

There's a huge amount of legroom in those exit rows but overall I think legroom on Ryanair is quite good even in a normal seat right at the back, it's probably because of the missing seat pocket. Do you prefer the older seats or the leather seats on FR, I remember the cloth ones being more comfortable.

Thanks for posting.

Kevin

Eirules

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 pm

Hey Phil

Excellent trip report as always. Is there much to do in ZRH while waiting for a connection??  Wink

Can I please make one request however? Next time give some prior warning of all the pics and videos. This antique almost blew up trying to open your TR with MSN and 5 other web pages open!!  Big grin

Well done again though
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 2):
Do you prefer the older seats or the leather seats on FR, I remember the cloth ones being more comfortable.

Thanks Kevin. Yes Swiss are the most professional airline within Europe I have ever flown. Its like the old days of flying and is a really enjoyable experience. I actually prefer the leather seats on FR . Its all a matter of choice. I actually was a bit dissapointed with the cloth as I entered the A/C but its all down to personal choice. I know some who like the cloth better , EIDAA I think being one of them.

Quoting EIRules (Reply 3):
Is there much to do in ZRH while waiting for a connection??  

Tons to do , stuff your face in the Senator lounge with snacks and free booze or head into the center to experience the Swiss culture.  Smile  Wink

Quoting Phileet92 (Reply 1):
What is this machine anyway? i'm split between a coffee machine or a liquer dispenser.

Its a Nespresso machine , I wouldnt be without mine. Im a coffee freak. Im not really a drinker so the liquer one wouldnt be any good to me but my mates would love it LOL..

sandrozrh

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:41 pm

Hey Phil!

Great report with the usual selection of nice pics and vids, you just gotta love the sound of those cfm babies Big grin Glad that you had another good experience on LX.

I see that you had a runway 16 departure at ZRH. Not too common with narrowbodies. I'm getting a bit confused with the lounges. Can you verify that the Senator lounge is thesame as the Business class lounge? I never refer to it as the Senator lounge, but just as the biz class lounge. At least the entrance is the same if memory serves correct. Are there now two seperate lounges in there, one for business passengers and one for senators?  Confused I haven't had the chance yet to visit it after renovation.

Thanks again for your effort to write this 5* TR and i'm looking forward to reading your next one.

cheers

Globetraveller

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:22 pm

Thank you for the great trip report Oa260. The pictures were excellent.

I like the vast contrast between the outbound and inbound journeys. The Swiss Business Class product really looks amazing when compared to Ryanair; that is not to say that Ryanair did not get you from point A to B efficiently.

The new lounge in ZRH really looks amazing!! Lufthansa should use this as a blueprint to upgrade their Business Class lounges in FRA!!  Smile

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Globetraveller

eicvd

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi Phil
As usual another excellent TR. Very enjoyable read as always.Could of been a little more interesting though, I think you know very well what I mean  Wink LOL.
Those interior pics on the FR bring back memories of my Carcasonne-DUB flight back '06.
Small question about boarding in ZRH. Beside the screen showing the flight number is there also a screen showing a seat-map of the a/c operating the flight?

Thanks for posting.
COYBIB

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:33 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 5):
Can you verify that the Senator lounge is thesame as the Business class lounge? I never refer to it as the Senator lounge, but just as the biz class lounge. At least the entrance is the same if memory serves correct. Are there now two seperate lounges in there

Yes you walk into the lounges and a new door on the left next to reception gets you into the Senator lounge and the elevator and steps behind the desk take you to the normal Business class lounge as usual.

Quoting Globetraveller (Reply 6):
Thank you for the great trip report Oa260. The pictures were excellent.

Thanks glad you enjoyed it.

Quoting EICVD (Reply 7):
I think you know very well what I mean   LOL.

You mean something like this ?

Big grin  Big grin

TUNisia

Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Loved the TR! Great photos and was nice to see Swiss again  Smile

You can, well maybe not the exact same model, but we have a Nespresso machine at home and it's amazing (but it's a smaller unit).
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

sandrozrh

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:34 am

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 8):
Yes you walk into the lounges and a new door on the left next to reception gets you into the Senator lounge and the elevator and steps behind the desk take you to the normal Business class lounge as usual.

interesting, i didnt know that Big grin So the Senator lounge is only for M&M senators, and the old business lounge for LX biz pax and star gold, or can star gold members also access the senator lounge?

davescj

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:20 am

Great TR! Thanks for posting!

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

EIDAA

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:28 am

Hi Philip! Great TR as always. Shame you didn't get to try out JetX as originally planned, but maybe another time! LX really does look impressive. Something tells me that when those special business class fares come out in a few weeks, there will be several Irish A.netters jumping on connecting flights around Europe with them!

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 4):
I know some who like the cloth better , EIDAA I think being one of them.

I do actually like the cloth seats on FR, but that may be more because of the fact you get a seat pocket. I always like to throw my camera and mp3 player into a seat pocket along with a drink or whatever... putting the rest of the carry-on items up in the overhead bin. On the leather seat aircraft, you end up having to carry those things in your lap or put the bag under the seat in front reducing legroom. The leather seats tend to be cleaner though!

Thanks again for the TR!

EIDAA (Andrew)
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

AntonovA330

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:51 am

Hi Oa260!
Yummy report! Thanks for your effort!
Also glad to see an (partly) aerial view of refurbished RWY16. Take off roll was smooth I suppose(?).

One night we were woken up by 4 Finnish teenagers who decided they wanted to strip off naked and jump into the swimming pool.

Yeehaw!!
Good day to you sir! Please turn left, your seat is in the first row.

rogerbcn

RE: Swiss Business Class+New Senator Lounge Pics/v

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:59 am

Hola Philip!

Another detailed and interesting TR.

Then I smelt some very nice food coming from the galley and I was not dissapointed.

It was really worth the wait and was very nice.

I am always envious of these hot plates you get on these legs DUB-ZRH.

I have to accommodate myself to the cold plates they serve in the BCN-ZRH/GVA/BSL legs which are nice but I am dying for a hot one. I love the deseert which is always too small.

After take off cold meals were served due to the short flying time. Before I realised I was handed a plate of Ham ! I pressed the call button and told the FA that I did not eat Ham and asked if she could russle up something else. She smiled and took the plate away and after a while came back with a really nice sandwich. She handled the situation very well and was very pleasant.

Next time you come to BCN, let me know and we can go for a beer, or two.

Salut!

Roger  Smile
"At reise er at leve" H.C. Andersen (Traveling is Living)

StefanPAD

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi Philip,

nice TR and with great pics. Good job as always!

The meal looks delicious. After reading several of your LX gourmet reports I finally booked my first LX C-Class flights. The route will be CDG-ZRH-HAM on Oct 22nd. I hope to get a delicious meal as well.

REG : HB-IOF
A/C : AIRBUS A321

I've been on this particular machine as well this year, but I sat on 6A in Y.

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 8):

But you have been to the longest Lounge bar. I entered the bar from the biz lounge. Is there a second entrance from the senator lounge?

Cheers,
Stefan

FLIEGER67

Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi, Phil,

one more great story and pix.
Good impressions about Salou, I stayed also one night there some years ago.
You told me earlier about your thoughts around JetX.
Sounds like a good decision to change for LX this time.

BTW, I´ve read some advertissements about short carribean cruises on the Olstice from
Christmas time on, maybe they send the ship back to Europe next summer.

Best regards,
Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

ba319-131

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi Philip,

Great report and pictures as usual, thanks, looks like a good trip.

As expected, the food on the DUB-ZRH sector looked good, lucky I had dinner in the oven!

Regards

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

sandrozrh

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 15):
I finally booked my first LX C-Class flights. The route will be CDG-ZRH-HAM on Oct 22nd. I hope to get a delicious meal as well.

Sadly you'll only get cold meals on these short hops.

StefanPAD

Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi Sandro,

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 18):
Sadly you'll only get cold meals on these short hops.

I already anticipated it  Yeah sure Nevertheless I hope to have an enjoyable trip.

Stefan

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 12):
there will be several Irish A.netters jumping on connecting flights around Europe with them!

Lol quite true.

Quoting AntonovA330 (Reply 13):
Yeehaw!!

Down boy LOL.....

Quoting Rogerbcn (Reply 14):
I am always envious of these hot plates you get on these legs DUB-ZRH.

Yes they have great meals on these flights and also ZRH-SKG and ATH. When you do a day trip to ATH or SKG you get double pleasure.

Quoting Rogerbcn (Reply 14):
Next time you come to BCN, let me know and we can go for a beer, or two.

For sure , would be nice. You can tell me some nice restaurants to go to with my friend. He is moving there next week from Salou.

Quoting StefanPAD (Reply 15):
But you have been to the longest Lounge bar. I entered the bar from the biz lounge. Is there a second entrance from the senator lounge?

Yes but its the only place you can smoke so you go up the stairs in the Senator lounge and the automatic doors open. After your cigarette you have to ask the barman to open the doors to get back into the Senator lounge.

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 16):
short carribean cruises on the Olstice from
Christmas time on, maybe they send the ship back to Europe next summer.

Hi Markus yes you are correct , it will do Med cruises in 2009. Cant wait . You should take the trip on it.

Quoting BA319-131 (Reply 17):
lucky I had dinner in the oven!

LOL... thanks. Yes it helps not to be hungry when you look at those meals.

airbuseric

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Philip. Another great report. Good to see LX still performing well and suits your needs. I'm thinking of taking a trip with them in C as well, in 2009.
FR also good. Ontime flights, and on EI-CSR, a plane which I also flew before. I prefer the cloth seats, which are more comfortable for longer flights, but are usually a lot more dirty. Therefore, I also don't mind the leather counterpart.
Good pics too! The blurry ones from the swimmingpool, on purpose?  Wink

Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:30 pm

Quoting Airbuseric (Reply 21):
Good pics too! The blurry ones from the swimmingpool, on purpose?  

LOL.... thanks Eric. Its times like that when I wish I had upgraded my camera  Big grin  Wink

shamrock321

Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:16 am

Great report, and good pictures.

I notice the bmi card on your bag, do you fly with them often?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:36 pm

A very nice trip report OA260 !

I have a lot of time for Swiss. They are a decent-enough airline.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

OA260
Topic Author

RE: Swiss Business Class+New Senator Lounge Pics/v

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Quoting Shamrock321 (Reply 23):
I notice the bmi card on your bag, do you fly with them often?

Yep I do when I go to LHR . Never do the longhaul or Med haul though. I wouldnt mind trying DME sometime and maybe MAN-USA in Prem Y . I only get to experience C class BHD or DUB to LHR unfortunately but always enjoy the trips with BMI. I like the DUB BMI staff also. Two guys who work on the ticket counter are always helpful and pleasant.

LXA340

Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Nice trip report.

That new chuntey that is served with the cheese is delicious. This seems to be some new creation, recently they had some yellowish chutney that was also very tasty.

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:02 pm

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 26):
That new chuntey that is served with the cheese is delicious

LOL... I knew this would come up !! I like it but not as much as last years. I really wish you could buy last years somewhere... If you ever find it let me know....

DALCE

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi Philip,

Another great report from your hand, and as ( almost ) always, some cruiseships are included one way or another  Smile
I'm glad you enjoyed the LX C-product, which seems to be of good quality!
Also some nice pics of ZRH, a place I am getting used to, as I'm there almost every month now.
Thanks for sharing your superb report!

Cheers,
Joost ( D-ALCE )
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,223,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

LXA340

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 27):

LOL... I knew this would come up !! I like it but not as much as last years. I really wish you could buy last years somewhere... If you ever find it let me know..

hehe, yeah I will do that. I should check once in the food departments of Jelmoli or Globus in Zurich downtown, I guess it's most likely to find it there. True the older one was a bit more delicious than the new one  Wink

iliribdl

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:01 am

Great job with the TR buddy. Enjoyed all the pictures. (and there were plenty of them) lol

When is your next trip to Greece?
delta.com

OA260
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:03 am

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 30):
Great job with the TR buddy. Enjoyed all the pictures. (and there were plenty of them) lol

When is your next trip to Greece?

Thanks Iliri,
Next trip this weekend lol..... I cant wait . Its been a long week.  Big grin

iliribdl

Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 31):
Next trip this weekend lol..... I cant wait . Its been a long week. Big grin

Make sure you do a TR for Greece. I'm 80% sure that I'll visit Athens next summer, probably with my brother, I want to see Greece so bad. lol
delta.com