Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SunsetLimited
Topic Author

Rocky Mountain High: AA 757 DFW-EGE-DFW

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Not much of a backstory here. I'm not a fan of boring anyone or going into needless detail. Flying into KEGE has always been on my aviation bucket list. Over this weekend, I finally got the chance to do so. It did not disappoint. Come along for the ride.

June 20, 2015
DFW-EGE
AA 2236
B757-200
Dep. DFW: 1715 (actual 1715)
Arr. EGE: 1837 (actual 1827)
Seat: 3F (F)

The aircraft pulled in to C-16 from LAS on time. Boarding began promptly at 1640. It was a pretty light load this evening. F was about half full, and so was Y. I took seat 3F with no one sitting next to me. It was my first time in 757 F in several years. Typical clean, well maintained AA cabin with very comfortable seats. A pre departure beverage was offered (OJ or water). Push was on time. Once airborne, a hot towel service was offered, followed by a drink service and warm nut mix, another drink service, a snack consisting of either a hummus plate or a cheese plate, and then at least two or three more beverage services...honestly I lost count. Flight time was 1h51m flying at 40,000ft. We started our descent around COS. I couldn't ask for a better day to be flying into EGE as there was nary a cloud around. After the breathtaking approach that exceeded all expectations, we ended up arriving EGE several minutes early. I loved the lack of jetways, as air stairs are far and away more enjoyable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only had a carry on, so I quickly made my way to the hotel shuttle while enjoying that fresh CO mountain air. The hotel itself was quite nice. It was called the AmericInn. Nice staff and big, clean, modern room, with a great view. I took a walk around the town of Eagle, had some decent Chinese food, and made my way back to the hotel under a gorgeous sky. I love Colorado. Always have, always will.

After a restful sleep, I took a 0600 shuttle out to the airport in an attempt to beat the crowd, since the flight going back would be much more full. It turned out to be a good idea, because after I made it through security in less than one minute, it quickly became crowded. I found a small cafe and had a truly terrible croissant breakfast sandwich, and then I made my way back down to the AA gate area, admiring our 757 parked on the ramp getting ready for another long day's work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 21, 2015
EGE-DFW
AA971
B757-200
Dep EGE: 0745 (actual 0744)
Arr DFW 1051 (actual 1048)
Seat: 28A (Y)

Boarding began at 0715 for this mostly full flight. It ended up going out full in F and just a scattering of middle seats open in Y. They were boarding via the L1 and L3 doors, and advised everyone in rows 20 and higher to use the L3, so I happily obliged. As usual, boarding via the ramp was a thrill. Push was one minute early, and the captain announced a flying time of 1h39m at 39,000ft. The takeoff was interesting as the a/c has to make a sharp left turn moments after liftoff. Then you climb straight for a bit before making a big right hand turn to head back East. Pretty exciting actually. Once we leveled off in a heading that would take us over COS, I caught some sleep until the in flight service started. I had a can of cran apple, which did a nice job in quenching my thirst. After that I dozed in and out of sleep before we started our descent into DFW. Very smooth landing, and a fairly quick taxi to gate C-26.

----------------------------------------------------

In short, EGE was everything it was cracked up to be, and I'm glad a 757 brought me there.
Spread hope like fire.

BA0197

RE: Rocky Mountain High: AA 757 DFW-EGE-DFW

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Brilliant TR! I fly that route all the time (have a summer house in Dillon (about 45 min away from EGE)) and I love that AA fly straight there- but my god can the fares get up there!

SunsetLimited
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:45 am

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 1):
Brilliant TR! I fly that route all the time (have a summer house in Dillon (about 45 min away from EGE)) and I love that AA fly straight there- but my god can the fares get up there!

Thank you! Yes, that's an amazing part of the country. I've driven through the area many times in rented Jeeps.

I'm sure the fare situation won't improve once more 319's take over the EGE flying in the winter.
Spread hope like fire.

BA0197

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Quoting SunsetLimited (Reply 2):
Thank you! Yes, that's an amazing part of the country. I've driven through the area many times in rented Jeeps.

I'm sure the fare situation won't improve once more 319's take over the EGE flying in the winte

It seriously stumps me why they are putting them on the route. It is always full in paid F weeks ahead and the Y fares are double the comparative DFW-DEN prices! I would have thought it would have been the last places to see the 757 go.

They'll also have to certify the A319 pilots to fly the landing there!

ams747757

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Fantastic TR! Some gorgeous shots of both the scenery and the 757!

mh330fc

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi SunsetLimited!

Beautiful pictures of an old bird! Like the window-views.

Thanks for posting!

American 767

Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Quoting mh330fc (Reply 5):
Beautiful pictures of an old bird!

I totally agree. I know for sure that I gotta have a date with her soon before she leaves, one last time before it's too late.

The pictures of the plane on the tarmac upon disembarking are so stunning. Two years ago I flew on an American 757 from JFK to MAD. The flight was real nice, the approach to MAD was superb. Upon disembarking in MAD, I take a picture of the plane similar to the one you took, and a employee of the airport stops me and asks me to delete the picture. I was so upset. I hate when people bother me when all I'm doing is enjoying my passion.

Thanks for the pictures.

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

dfwjim1

Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:47 pm

That is one bad*** trip report. I like the hill that is right at the end of the runway; I can see why the 757 has to make such
a sharp turn to avoid it.

SunsetLimited
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:09 am

Thanks for all of the comments! It was a flight to remember, that's for sure.

I wonder how EGE compares to ASE in terms of a scenic approach/departure?
Spread hope like fire.

ElanusNotatus

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:34 am

Hi SunsetLimited,

Great trip report. Those views over the mountains are gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing. EN
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

kann123air

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:55 am

Hi SunsetLimited, great TR! Thanks for sharing; I really enjoyed it.

Amrit

[Edited 2015-06-22 21:55:55]
Going for great

flyvail

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:42 pm

You flew just to the west of my house (in Avon).

Love that airport and now that I am in S FL most of the year, love the MIA - EGE that AA runs in the winter.

Always appreciated the departure pattern out of EGE: get up quick and turn left!

[Edited 2015-06-23 11:44:03]

dfwjim1

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting FlyVail (Reply 11):

I live in South Florida too...does AA run the MIA - EGE flight every day during the ski season?

rta

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:46 am

Hi SunsetLimited,
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I really enjoyed the views on approach and take off. I definitely want to fly there sometime. Also pretty cool that you got to board a 757 via a stair case.

-rta

flyvail

Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:59 pm

From 12/17 through 4/4 there is a daily flight from MIA to EGE departing at 9:25am and arriving just after Noon. There is also a daily return, departing EGE at 1:00pm and arriving in MIA just after 7:00pm.

I know I saw a press release on a summer flight, but it is not loaded on the airport's website. Looking now to see if I can dig it up.

Although I am in no way affiliated with the site, http://www.flyvail.com has great info about EGE. My username is merely a (happy) coincidence.

Cheers -

EC

frostyj

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:14 am

I like the wall panel design.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]